Submission Deadline: July 31st 2013
Reason foundation proudly presents the 12th Annual Bastiat Prize for Journalism. Featuring $16,000 in award money, the Bastiat Prize honors writers from around the globe who explain the importance of freedom with originality, wit, and eloquence. The prize is named for the classical liberal essayist Frédéric Bastiat (1801-1850), whose writings on free markets, political economy, and individual rights remain a touchstone in libertarian thought. Past prize winners include Virginia Postrel, Tim Harford, Mary Anastasia O’Grady, Robert Guest, Sauvik Chakraverti, Amity Shlaes, and Anne Jolis.
Bastia Prize 2013 Rules
- The Bastiat Prize for Journalism (“BPJ”) is open to all writers, anywhere in the world; writers need not be full time journalists or associated with any specific publication.
- The total prize fund is $16,000, divided between first ($10,000), second ($5,000) and third ($1,000) prize winners.
- Entrants must submit their entries through the online entry form on Reason’swebsite
- All articles entered for the BPJ must have been published in print or online (or both).
- Articles may comprise or include the transcript of a radio or television broadcast if that transcript has been published in print or online.
- In the case of a question about the legitimacy of an article, the author will be consulted and a final decision will be made by Reason Foundation.
- Entries must comprise between one and three articles.
- Entries must not exceed 5,000 words in total.
- Articles must have been published in English.
- Articles must have been published for the first time between July 1, 2012 and June 30, 2013.
- Entries must state clearly the name of the publication where each article appeared and the date each article was published.
- Consideration will be given to the articles on the following criteria: intellectual coherence; persuasiveness; wit and creativity; relevance; clarity and simplicity; wider impact.
- Authors must nominate themselves, although submissions may be made by an assistant on the author’s behalf with his/her consent.
- If some or all articles are available to view online, entrants are encouraged to provide a URL for the articles.
- In all cases, an electronic copy of each article (in either .txt, .rtf, or .pdf format) must be uploaded through the submission form. If you encounter problems with the form, then these should be emailed to[email protected].
- Entries must be received on or before July 31, 2013.
Submissions to the 2013 Bastiat Prize will be accepted from May 31 until July 31. Winners will be announced November 6 at a New York Yacht Club gala dinner. For more information, email [email protected].
The 2013 Bastiat Prize for Journalism will have a First prize of $10,000, Second prize of $5,000 and Third prize of $1,000.