Application Deadline: 30 April 2013
The Japan Foundation for UNU (JFUNU) Scholarship is available for outstanding applicants from developing countries who can demonstrate a need for financial assistance, and they will be considered as candidates for the award of the scholarship.
The JFUNU scholarship covers the full tuition fees, and provides a monthly allowance of 150,000 JPY* for living expenses for a maximum of 24 months. Travel costs to and from Japan, visa handling fees, and health/accident insurance costs must be covered by the student.
*150,000 JPY is the average monthly living cost for an international student without dependents in Tokyo, although this amount may vary depending on the lifestyle of the student.
Please note that the JFUNU scholarship is highly competitive and offered to a very small number of students who are granted admission to UNU-ISP. Thus, applicants are strongly encouraged to apply for other funding opportunities from the government of their own country, private foundations, or international funding agencies.
Applicants for the Master of Science in Sustainability, Development, and Peace are required to have met the following requirements by the application deadline in order to be considered:
1. A completed bachelor’s degree (or equivalent) from a recognised university or institution of higher education
Those who expect to graduate and have a bachelor’s degree or its equivalent conferred before enrolment may also apply.
2. A particular interest and career aspiration in at least one of the following thematic areas:
- Global Change and Sustainability
- Peace and Security
- International Cooperation and Development
For more information on these areas, please refer to the Research page.
3. English language proficiency
The minimum score requirements for English language qualifications required by UNU-ISP are:
- 600 in TOEFL – Paper-Based Testing (PBT)
- 100 in TOEFL – Internet-Based Testing (iBT)
- 7.0 in IELTS – Academic format
Applicants, except for the cases below, must submit original TOEFL or IELTS score reports (from a test taken within the last two years) to Admissions Office at the time of application:
- Applicants whose first language is English.
- Applicants who graduated from a university or a postgraduate school located in an English speaking country.
- Applicants who completed an undergraduate or postgraduate degree programme where the language of instruction and examination was English. In this case, an official statement from the academic institution will be required, confirming the use of English as the language of instruction and examination.
UNU-ISP requires original TOEFL/IELTS score reports (no photocopies accepted).
- TOEFL: Please order an official score report using an institution code 6991. For more information on TOEFL, please visit http://www.ets.org/toefl/
- IELTS: Please request that an official report be sent directly to UNU-ISP. For more information on IELTS, please visit http://www.ielts.org/
Fees and Financial Aid
- Application Processing Fee: None
- Tuition Fee: 10,000 USD per year
Estimated total expenses for the master’s degree programme for 2 years including tuition are 6,041,800 JPY or approximately 75,438 USD*. Applicants must show financial resources adequate to meet the full costs of educational and living expenses.
*Based on the UN operational rate of exchange in November 2012: 1 USD= 80.09 JPY.
Selection and Announcement of Results
After the application deadline, the process of reviewing applications and making admission decisions will take approximately 6-8 weeks. Please do not contact the Admissions Office until at least 8 weeks have elapsed to check on application status.
UNU-ISP may at any time require applicants to provide verification of the information and documents submitted as part of their application and/or additional information including, but not limited to, an interview.
- The successful applicants will be notified by email to the address provided on Application Form. Necessary documents for the admission procedure will be sent together with a letter of acceptance.
Successful applicants must submit a medical certificate. Only successful applicants – except those accepted as JFUNU scholarship recipients – who submit the necessary documents for the entrance procedure and transfer 50% of the tuition fees for the first academic year (5,000 USD, non-refundable) within 10 UNU working days after result announcement will be admitted to the programme. (Please refer to UNU Holidays on Academic Calendar page) The matriculation date (early September 2013) cannot be extended, regardless of any special circumstances on the part of the student.
- The unsuccessful applicants will be notified by e-mail to the address provided on Application Form. Admissions Office does not provide individual feedback on unsuccessful applications.
E-mail will be the primary method of contact. Therefore, it is essential that applicants provide a valid e-mail address in the Application Form and that he/she regularly checks his/her e-mail. Please ensure that our e-mails are not filtered into spam or junk folder. UNU-ISP will not be held responsible for unread e-mail communication.
Please do not call the Admissions Office regarding application status or admission decisions as we will not release them by phone.
UNU-ISP is currently accepting applications for Sept. 2013 enrolment.
All Interested applicants should apply through UNU-ISP online application form.
The application deadlines:
- FIRST SELECTION deadline is 28 February 2013
- FINAL SELECTION deadline is 30 April 2013