Submission Deadline: May 27, 2015 at 2PM (AEDT)
Every year, World Nomads send talented storytellers on money-can’t-buy learning experiences around the world.
World Nomads offer Travel Scholarships in photography, writing, film making and because food and language are such an essential part of the travel experience, these as well.
Winners get the opportunity to learn from industry professionals, experts that have honed their craft over many years and have a passion to give back to aspiring storytellers.
Scholarships provide the perfect platform to turn a passion into a profession. Past winners having gone on to work with in film production, with major publishers, and have had their scholarship work broadcast to hundreds of thousands of people around the world.
The 3 scholarship recipients will receive:
- A 3-day custom travel writing course in San Francisco with mentor and Lonely Planet author John Vlahides
- A 10-day road trip across the U.S. (including a $3000 USD stipend to spend on food, transport, activities and accommodation)
- Round-trip airfare from your country of residence to San Francisco, CA
- Travel insurance for the duration of the trip from World Nomads
The 3 successful applicants will receive the following;
– Return Economy airfare from nearest international airport to San Francisco, USA
– 3-day workshop with travel writer and mentor John Vlahides in San Francisco
– 3 nights accommodation in San Francisco
– a $3000 USD stipend to go towards food, activities, transport and accommodation on the 10-day road trip around the U.S.
– Cost of any relevant visas and vaccinations
– Travel insurance with WorldNomads.com
The 3 scholarship recipients must attend and participate in all workshop activities (between August 11th-13th) in San Francisco as outlined by mentor John Vlahides.
How to apply
To apply, World Nomads want you to write a mini-guide to one of your favourite places or experiences that you’ve encountered on your travels. They are trying to unearth Travel Discoveries, or hidden gems that you know other nomads would enjoy.
- Write 2500 characters (including spaces) about your Travel Discovery showcasing your writing skills and your personality in a fun piece celebrating the hidden gems we all seek.Need a little inspiration? Here is an example from one of WN staff members.
- Plan your itinerary. Tell us two places in U.S. you would like to visit and write about on your road trip and why.
- Complete an entry form which includes contact details and a maximum 1500 character essay on why you should be chosen and what the opportunity will mean for you. Your answer will provide considerable weight in the judging process.
One entry per person. The entry must be submitted in English.
Note: Once you apply, you may not go back and edit your entry. Please make sure you are completely satisfied with your essay before you submit an application.
For More Information:
Visit the Official Webpage of the 2015 World Nomad Travel Writing Scholarships to San Francisco, USA
Oh man this sounds like the coolest opportunity ever. I’m going to have to look into other World Nomad travel writing programs for my daughter. She would be all over this.