Application Deadline: July 31st 2017.
The DAAD Helmut-Schmidt-Programme (Master’s Scholarship) is designed to further qualify future leaders in politics, law, economics and administration according to the principles of good governance and to prepare them in a praxis-oriented course for their professional life. Very good graduates with a first university
- The scholarship scheme is open to graduates in the field of social sciences, political sciences, law, economics and in public administration from Africa, Latin America, South Asia and Southeast Asia, from countries in the Middle East as well as from the Ukraine.
The programme is open for very well qualified graduates with a first university degree (bachelor or equivalent) who want to actively contribute to the social and economic development of their home countries.
The scholarships are offered both for young graduates without professional experience and for mid-career professionals.
- The scholarships are awarded for selected master ́s courses at German institutions of higher education listed below.
- The study programmes starts in September/October 2018. The courses have an international orientation and are taught in German and/or English.
- Prior to their study programmes all scholarship holders receive a 6-months-German language course from April 2018 to September 2018.
- The language courses take place at selected institutes in Germany and not at the universities of the selected master ́s courses.
- The language course is compulsory also for those who attend a master ́s course taught in English.
- The scholarship holders are offered a special tutoring at their host institutions financed by DAAD. Furthermore, there is the possibility to attend networking events.
- DAAD pays a monthly scholarship rate of currently 750 €.
- The scholarship also includes contributions to health insurance in Germany. In addition, DAAD grants an appropriate travel allowance and a study and research subsidy as well as rent subsidies and/or allowances for spouses and/or children where applicable.
- DAAD- scholarship holders within the Helmut-Schmidt-Programme are exempted from tuition fees.
- The main DAAD criteria for selection are the following : the study results so far, knowledge of English (and German), political and social engagement, a convincing description of the subject-related and personal motivation for the study project in Germany and the expected benefit when returning to the home country.
- The latest university degree should have been obtained during the six years prior to the application for the scholarship.
- Applicants cannot be considered if they have stayed in Germany for more than 15 months at the time of application.
- All master ́s courses have further additional requirements that must be fulfilled by the applicants in any case.
- Applications have to be submitted in German or English.
- Please indicate that you are applying for the DAAD Helmut-Schmidt-Programme (Master’s scholarships for Public Policy and Good Governance).
- Please submit your applications for the selected master`s courses and for the DAAD scholarship to the respective universities only (not to DAAD).
- The application period at all 8 universities lasts from June1st to July 31st 2017.
- Applications sent to the DAAD will not be forwarded to the respective course/university.
- They become property of the DAAD and will NOT be returned. The applicant has no right to claim for reimbursement.
Furthermore, we would like to point out that only complete applications can be accepted.The necessary documents are:• DAAD application form for research grants and study scholarships (please fill in electronically and not written by hand)• Motivation letter containing a precise description of the applicant’s academic/professional and personal reasons for choosing this scholarship programme and the universities, two pages maximum• Full curriculum vitae including information about precise field of study and, if applicable, description of job experience• Copies of acquired university degrees (an explanation of the grading system has to be attached)• Copies of the transcript of records• Copy of the school leaving certificate/high school diploma which entitles holders to study at a university in their home country• Recent language certificates (German and English)• Two letters of recommendation by university professors and/or current or former employers of recent date, supplemented by signature, official letterhead, stamp (not in a sealed envelope)For More Information: