Application Deadline: July 31st 2016.
This programme is designed to further qualify future leaders in politics, law, economics and administration according to the principles of Good Governance and to prepare them in a praxis-oriented course for their professional life. Very good graduates with a first university degree get the chance to obtain a Master’s degree in disciplines that are of special relevance to the social, political and economic development of their home country.
The knowledge and experience acquired in Germany should enable the scholarship holders
to later contribute to the establishment of democratically oriented economic and social systems aimed at overcoming social differences. In addition, the training at German institutions of higher education should qualify the scholarship holders to become partners in the political and economic co-operation with Germany. With this programme, DAAD intends to contribute to the support of good governance and civil society structures in selected partner countries and regions.
- The scholarship scheme is open to graduates in the field of social sciences, political sciences, law, economics and in public administration from Africa, Latin America, South Asia and Southeast Asia as well as from countries in the Middle East ( see list of countries).
- Very well qualified graduates with a first university degree (Bachelor or equivalent) who want to actively contribute to the social and economic development of their home countries.
- The scholarships are offered both for young graduates without professional experience and for mid-career professionals.
- The main DAAD criteria for selection are the following: the study results so far, knowledge of English (and German), political and social engagement, a convincing description of the subject-related and personal motivation for the study project in Germany and the expected benefit when returning to the home country.
- The latest university degree should have been obtained during the six years prior to the application for the scholarship. Applicants cannot be considered if they have stayed in Germany for more than 15 months at the time of application.
- All Master courses have further additional requirements that must be fulfilled by the applicants in any case.
- The scholarships are awarded for selected Master courses at German institutions of higher education listed below.
- The study programmes will start in September/October 2017. The courses have an international orientation and are taught in German and/or English. Prior to their study programmes all scholarship holders will receive a 6-months-German language course from April 2017 to September 2017.
- The language courses take place at selected institutes in Germany and not at the universities of the selected study programme.
- The language course is compulsory also for those who will attend a Master course taught in English.
- The scholarship holders will be offered a special tutoring at their host institutions financed by DAAD. Furthermore, there is the possibility to attend networking events.
- DAAD pays a monthly scholarship rate of currently 750 €. The scholarship also includes contributions to health insurance in Germany. In addition, DAAD grants an appropriate travel allowance and a study and research subsidy as well as rent subsidies and/or
allowances for spouses and/or children where applicable. DAAD-scholarship holders are exempt from tuition fees.
- Applications have to be submitted in German or English. Please indicate that you are applying for the DAAD Helmut-Schmidt-Programme (Master’s scholarships for Public Policy and Good Governance).
- Please submit your applications for the selected Master courses and for the DAAD scholarship to the respective universities only (not to DAAD).
- The application period at all 8 universities lasts from June 1st to July 31st 2016.
The necessary documents are:
- DAAD application form for research grants and study scholarships ( please fill in electronically and not written by hand)
- Motivation letter containing a precise description of the applicant’s academic / professional and personal reasons for choosing this scholarship programme and the universities;
- Full Curriculum Vitae including information about precise field of study and, if applicable, description of job experience;
- Copies of acquired university degrees (an explanation of the grading system has to be attached)
- Copies of the transcript of records
- Copy of the school leaving certificate/High School diploma which entitles holders to study at a university in their home country.
Recent language certificates (German and English);
Two letters of recommendation by university professors and/or current or former employers.
- The committee selecting the candidates at the end of 2016 consists of professors responsible for the respective study programmes and of representatives from DAAD.
- All applicants will be informed at the end of the selection process–approx. by the end of December 2016.
For More Information: