Essay Submission Deadline: 16th of August 2013
The Murtala Muhammed Foundation (MMF) is pleased to announce the maiden edition of the ‘Education for Change’ Essay competition, which is in line with the Foundation’s Public Policy Dialogues aimed at increasing transparency, democracy, and accountability in government and the economy.
The 2013 Murtala Muhammed Foundation Policy Dialogue – will have as its focus “Investing in Nigeria’s Future: Unlocking the Potential of our Next Generation of Leaders”.In line with mmfoundation mandate to empower the youths to become exemplary leaders that shall stir this great nation towards the path of sustainable development; the essay competition is focused on promoting critical thinking, harnessing ideas and developing the talents abilities gifts and skills inherent in the youth. This we expect shall translate into a ripple effect of awareness and provide a platform for growth of future leaders for Nigeria.
Rules & Regulations
- The competition is open to students from registered Federal and State Private Universities and Polytechnics of the Federal Republic of Nigeria.
- The competition is open to students from registered Public and Private Secondary Schools of the Federal Republic of Nigeria.
- All applicants must be legal residents of the Federal Republic of Nigeria.
- The candidate must be aged between 18-25 years for Polytechnics and Universities and between 12-17 years for secondary schools.
- The essay submitted must not be more than five hundred words (500 Words). Failure to comply with this shall lead to automatic disqualification.
- All entries must be written in the English language.
- The candidate must only apply based on one topic that should be submitted electronically. Multiple applications will be disqualified.
- Relations and staff of the Murtala Muhammed Foundation are not eligible to apply.
- Falsification of any detail on the application shall nullify it.
- The Applicants bio-data shall be used by the Foundation for publicity purposes.
- The top five shortlisted Applicants shall be invited for an interview and then the top three shall be awarded the prizes.
- All entries must be properly referenced, as plagiarism shall not be permitted. Note that information from the following websites is not allowed as forms of reference for this competition: Wikipedia or any wiki links site. The research much reflects appropriate and relevant peer-reviewed journals and legitimate websites.
Your essay shall be judged on seven criteria:
1. Content: How convincing are the main points and conclusion of the essay?
2. Organization: How logical is the flow of thoughts?
3. Relevance: Relationship between the essay and the topic?
4. Critical thinking: Ability to think creatively.
5. Grammar: Spelling and punctuation.
6. Reference: Ability to provide proper referencing from reliable sources.
7. Word Count: Adherence to the 500 words for the essay as stipulated.
HOW TO APPLY
All applications should be sent to email@example.com with the applicants full detail (Full Names, Age, Gender, Email Addresses, Phone Contact, School/Institution, State of Residence, State of Origin). The deadline for the submission of forms is: 16th August, 2013. Successful candidates shall be contacted.
UNIVERSITY AND POLYTECHNIC ESSAY COMPETITION TOPIC
Education is the most powerful weapon, which you can use to change the world.
First prize: N150,000
Second Prize: N100,000
Third Prize: N75,000
SECONDARY SCHOOL ESSAY COMPETITION TOPIC
Education is that which remains when one has forgotten everything he learned in school
First Prize: N100,000
Second Prize: N75,000
Third Prize: N50,000
Submit your essay to : firstname.lastname@example.org.