Application Deadline: June 23, 2021
The AWARD Leadership Program for Emerging African Women in Science is a customized learning experience targeting young African women in science under the age of 35 years. The program is
designed to equip participants with skills and condence to lead and innovate in the scientic world.
A two-month virtual program, the AWARD Leadership Program for Emerging African Women in
Science will be oered to young women from sub-Saharan Africa who will be competitively selected
through an open call for applications.
Women comprise a mere 28.8 percent of the world’s scientists and winning only three percent of the science Nobel Prizes and ve percent of all Nobel prizes. The underrepresentation of women in leadership roles ultimately affects progress toward sustainable development and achievement of the global sustainable development goals. To ensure women’s effective participation in leadership, it is critical that women access learning opportunities to gain skills that will equip them to lead effectively. The AWARD Leadership Program for Emerging African Women in Science is tailored to address some of the challenges that impede young women’s growth into leadership in science.
– The Leadership Program for Emerging African Women in STEM will comprise highly interactive training sessions on leadership and mentoring, proposal writing and communication skills as well as one-on-one coaching sessions.
– AWARD Training will deliver the training and coaching.
The training sessions will comprise two weekly live virtual sessions and oine assignments and oered
over a period of two months from July to August 2021.
Participants will get a deeper understanding of:
• Effective leadership styles and developing their leadership potential
• How to define their career path and leverage networks to advance their careers
• How to develop personal brands to build confidence in pitching their research ideas to potential funding
agencies and collaborators
• The necessary tools and skills to successfully manage teams, navigate organizational dynamics, build
alliances, and take risks
• How to navigate around gender dynamics and apply proven strategies to be effective negotiators and
Eligibility and participation
• The program is available to high-potential female applicants below the age of 35 years working in
science, and with at least ve years full-time sector experience
• Education qualification: Applicants must have a minimum of a B.Sc. degree from a recognized university
• Applicants must demonstrate their commitment to growth, clearly articulate their career goals and
demonstrate their ability to take on leadership responsibility
•Only applicants from the following countries are eligible: Benin, Burkina Faso, Cote d’Ivoire, Ethiopia,
Ghana, Kenya, Malawi, Mali, Nigeria, Senegal, Tanzania, Togo, Uganda, and Zambia
• Language: The language of instruction and delivery is English, and participants must have a working
knowledge of the English language. Language support is not available for this program
• Applicants must submit their application not later than June 23, 2021 2359hrs EAT
• Applications must be submitted only through the online link provided on our website
• Successful participants will be notified in July 2021
• AWARD Fellows, Fellows’ mentees, One Planet Laureate Candidates and Mentors are not eligible
• The participants MUST commit to attend all the training sessions. A session guide will be shared in
• The program is offered exclusively via virtual platforms and participants will need access to a computer
and internet connection. Basic requirements will be to access YouTube, ZOOM and the AWARD online
• Participants will receive a certificate of completion upon successfully attending and completing all
For More Information:
Visit the Official Webpage of the AWARD Leadership Program