Application Deadline: June 30th 2017
The 13th edition of the Atelier for Young Festival Managers, the first in Africa, will take place from 23 to 29 March 2018, in Johannesburg, South Africa.
The Festival Academy, in partnership with the Market TheatreFoundation and the University of Witwatersrand’s School of Arts, will present the Atelier. 45 participants will be selected for the 7-day training programme during which they will discuss various aspects of festival management with up to ten renowned festival managers from pioneering festivals and outstanding art centres and institutes from all over the world.
The programme is addressed at emerging festival managers or those who have ambitions to get involved in programming in festivals. Participants broaden their programming skills, widen their horizons, and develop new project ideas under the professional guidance of 10 renowned festival managers from all over the world who share their rich experience. The Atelier focuses on the very essence of cultural management – the arts, the artist and the audience.
- The Atelier addresses early career artistic directors, programmers and curators working for art organisations or festivals, as well as those working in a programme related department in a festival.
- Participants leave the Atelier with extended programming skills, a broad new personal and professional network, and inspiration for new (collaboration) projects.
Application & Selection Procedure
- The Festival Academy, calls for applications for the Atelier for Young Festival Managers in Johannesburg. 45 participants will be selected for the 7-day training programme during which they will discuss artistic festival management with ten renowned festival directors. Young festival managers from all over the world are invited to apply until 30 June 2017.
- Please don’t hesitate to contact The Festival Academy for further information on the application & selection procedure.
The following application criteria will be applied (not cumulative):
- average age of Atelier participants (from experience of past editions) is 35
- excellent knowledge of English (working language of the Atelier)
- be supported by a festival, a cultural venue or another initiative in the cultural sector; or
- be supported by a training/academic institute (study module); or
- proof future employment in the field; or
- demonstrate strong personal arguments and motives.
- deal with one or more artistic disciplines within a festival or
- have a basic practical knowledge in festival operation
- demonstrate the ambition to deepen their skills in the field of programming or in a department closely related to it;
- prove that a study course (already completed or due to be completed) is in line with the Atelier; or
- give evidence of his/her ambition to work in the festival business or cultural field.
For More Information: