Application Deadline: 6th September 2023.
The Global Center on Adaptation (GCA) is an international organization that works as a solutions broker to catalyze action and support for adaptation solutions, from the international to the local, in partnership with the public and private sector, to ensure we learn from each and work together for a climate resilient future. GCA’s Youth Leadership Program aims to make young people central to driving the adaptation agenda worldwide.
In September 2021, Prof. Dr. Patrick Verkooijen, the Chief Executive Officer of GCA, launched the CEO’s Youth Advisory Panel. Two Panels were convened in 2022 and 2023 with the aim to mobilize young people around the world for adaptation and to provide strategic advice to the CEO of GCA regarding youth engagement to drive the adaptation agenda. The CEO’s Youth Advisory Panel comprises youth experts from Africa, Asia, Europe, Latin America and Caribbean, Middle East and North Africa, and Oceania.
The main activities of the CEO’s Youth Advisory Panels have included organizing GCA’s flagship youth consultation process – the regional Youth Adaptation Forums – to build momentum for international convenings for Africa including the Africa Adaptation Summit and the Africa Climate Summit. In 2022, seven regional Youth Adaptation Forums took place around the world from Senegal to Costa Rica, engaging over 2,300 young people and culminating in the Youth Dialogue on Adaptation Action.
Call for Applications
GCA is seeking applicants for the CEO’s Youth Advisory Panel 2024, to mobilize young people around the world for adaptation and to provide strategic advice to the CEO of GCA regarding youth engagement to drive the adaptation agenda. The CEO’s Youth Advisory Panel 2024 shall constitute a twelve member gender-balanced group from Latin America and Caribbean, Asia, Africa, North America, Europe, Middle East and North Africa, and Oceania to ensure a fair representation of the youth adaptation movement.
- Demonstrated commitment to youth-led or youth-driven adaptation action, either at the international, regional, national or local level.
- Solid understanding of climate adaptation and the role that young people can play in creating a more resilient world.
- Ability to commit to biweekly meetings and contribute to Panel activities from December 2023 to December 2024.
- Experience in engaging with United Nations organizations and processes, particularly the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change (UNFCCC), Conference of the Parties (COPs), Local Conference of Youth (LCOYs), and Regional Conference of Youth (RCOYs), the Youth Constituency of the UNFCCC (YOUNGO).
- Previous participation in GCA Youth events is an asset.
- Strengthen the Youth Adaptation Network at the local, national and regional level through advocacy such as amplifying adaptation campaigns and organizing events, and fostering collaborations.
- Raise awareness amongst young people on the adaptation agenda and amplify educational resources such as the factsheets for young people on climate adaptation and the Toolkit for Youth on Adaptation & Leadership.
- Provide advice to the Chief Executive Officer of GCA and the activities of the Youth Leadership & Education Program.
- Applications are open until 6th September 2023. Applications can be submitted through the form at the top of this page.
- An inclusive selection process will take place giving consideration to the requirements outlined below.
- In early November 2023 selected candidates will be contacted to join the Youth Advisory Panel 2024.
- During COP28, in December 2023 there will be a public announcement of the members of the CEO’s Youth Advisory Panel 2024.
- January 2024 – December 2024 period of the CEO’s Youth Advisory Panel 2024.
For More Information: