Application Deadline: March 3oth 2014
- Call for Essays: The Global Development Network and UNECA invite young African students to submit an essay on Imagining the future of Africa 2025.
- And Participate in the GDN 15th Annual Global Development, Conference, Accra (Ghana) June 18-20, 2014
If you are currently a student enrolled in an African university and are 21 to 29 years old,speak out on the future of Africa 2025: What does the future hold for the African continent? What are the possible scenarios? How will the future be different from the Africa that exists today?
Write a paper of 15 000 characters (with spaces).
Submissions will be judged for both their analytical rigour and their quality of exposition and written expression. Your paper must be innovative and able to put forward positive proposals for the future of the African continent on three main issues:
- Economic challenges: What are the main determinants and engines for growth and are they likely to anchor a high potential growth rate for the short, medium and long term? How do you describe and analyse the economic transformation that is taking place?
- Environmental challenges:Is African growth sustainable? How to harness natural resources for structural transformation? How to combine sustainability with the demands of growth and urbanization in terms of access to energy and natural resources?
- Social and political challenges:How inclusive has growth been and how much does it also lead to a social and political transformation?How can we build a bridge between informality and formality and initiate the process of moving out of informality?
In partnership or individually,whatever your degree or your specialisation, take this opportunity to make your voice heard and take part in the discussions on the future scenarios for Africa !
If you are selected, you will receive an invitation to join the GDN 15th Annual Global Development Conference and exchange your views with experts, researchers, policy-makers and economists from around the world.
50 selected students will be invited to attend to the Conference, on June 18-20, 2014 in Accra – Ghana (travel and accommodation paid by the organizers of the conference). Students will participate in a dedicated session the day before the Conference on June 17th, 2014.