Submission Deadline: October 28, 2013.
The Global Energy Essay Contest provides an exciting opportunity for students around the world to engage in critical thinking and present their ideas and solutions to tackle the key energy issues that we face today.
As energy resources become scarce and climate change becomes an increasingly pressing reality, it is imperative to involve and engage students—the decision-makers of tomorrow—to discuss real and practical solutions on how energy can be used and provided in a sustainable and accessible way.
Through this contest, we hope to provide a platform for students from all backgrounds with an opportunity to share and expand their unique understanding of the worldwide urgency surrounding these issues, and the opportunity to be recognized for important contributions to shaping a sustainable future that guarantees affordable energy for all.
The Global Energy Initiative is dedicated to promoting sustainable energy for all to fight energy poverty, protect the environment, and mitigate the effects of climate change. The initiative aims to create a new energy paradigm that fosters equitable economic and social development for the benefit of all humanity and facilitates the development the least developed countries.
The United Nations General Assembly unanimously declared the decade 2014‑2024 as the Decade of Sustainable Energy for All, underscoring the importance of energy issues for sustainable development and for the elaboration of the post-2015 development agenda.
In adopting the resolution, the General Assembly reaffirmed its determination to make sustainable energy for all a reality; calling upon Member States to galvanize efforts to make universal access to sustainable modern energy services a priority.
In light of this, we would like students to share their thoughts on this declaration through this year’s essay topic:
A Vision for The Decade of Sustainable Energy for All: 2014-2024
The essay contest is open to all students that are currently enrolled in university working towards any degree program (e.g. B.A., B.S., M.A., M.S, M.B.A, M.Ed., Ph.D., etc) to take part in the contest. We strongly encourage students from all backgrounds and ability who have an interest in energy and sustainability issues to participate!
Essay Contest Guidelines
- The essay should be written in English, typed and double-spaced
- The essay should contain between 1,500 to 2,000 words (excluding bibliography and citations)
- Please include a cover sheet with your first and last name, telephone contact, email address and name of university
- Students must produce their own work, using information from other sources (which must be clearly cited) where appropriate
- References should appear as endnotes—no footnotes please.
How to Enter
- Please submit your essay in Word or PDF format to EssayContest2013@GlobalEnergyInitiative.org.
- The subject line of the email should read “Global Sustainable Energy Essay Contest 2013”
- The essay should be saved as follows: First & Last Name University (e.g. Jane Smith_ University of Maryland)
- The deadline for submission is September 1, 2013. Finalists will be announced September 22 and the winner will be announced September 30.
The winner of the competition will receive an invitation to receive their award at the Global Energy Initiative conference hosted at the United Nations, New York. They will also have a speaking opportunity during the award presentation ceremony, and will receive a certificate. Airfare, lodging, and meal expenses to New York will be covered.
The four runners-up will also receive certificate prizes from the Global Energy Initiative.
For More Information: