Application Deadline: October 23rd 2020
The Government of Japan is calling for applications from young South Africans who would like to spend at least one year in Japan as Assistant Language Instructors (ALTs) under a highly successful international exchange programme for university graduates.
The Japan Exchange and Teaching Programme seeks to enhance internationalization in Japan by promoting mutual understanding between the people of Japan and those of other nations. The Programme aims to enhance foreign language education and promote international exchange at the local level through the fostering of ties between Japanese youth and foreign youth alike.
The objectives of the Programme are being achieved by offering JET Programme participants the opportunity to serve in local authorities as well as public and private elementary, junior high, and senior high schools in Japan.
The Programme is implemented by local authorities and other organisations who appoint Participants in cooperation with the Ministry of Internal Affairs and Communications (MIC), the Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MOFA), the Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology (MEXT), and the Council of Local Authorities for International Relations (CLAIR).
The Programme started in 1987 with cooperation from governments of participating countries. In 2019, there were 5,761 participants on the Programme from 57 countries.
As the Programme has achieved an excellent reputation over the last 34 years, it is of great importance that this reputation be maintained. Participants are invited to Japan as honoured representatives of their countries. As such, they are expected to be responsible in all their activities, especially those concerning the promotion of mutual understanding between nations. It is therefore desirable that Participants be adaptable, mentally and physically capable of performing the job duties and have a deep interest in Japan.
Generally, Participants are appointed by prefectures, municipalities, and private schools, etc. as a member of staff for a 1-year period of participation on the Programme. The cost of transportation from the Participant’s origin to Japan, as well as remuneration, will be funded by the tax payers of Japan via the Contracting Organisation where the Participant is appointed. Because Participants serve as civil servants and private school staff members of their Contracting Organisations, they are required to observe rules and behave responsibly.
Position and duties
Participants engaged in language instruction. ALTs are placed mainly in local boards of education, elementary, junior high, and senior high schools.
Participants who are mainly assigned to boards of education, elementary, junior high, or senior high schools are to carry out their duties as ALTs under the guidance of language teachers’ consultants or Japanese teachers of the foreign language as specified by the supervisor and/or principal of the board of education and/or school. The following is a general outline of duties, though they may vary from one Contracting Organisation to another.
(1) Assistance in foreign language classes, etc. taught in elementary, junior high and senior high schools.
(2) Assistance in foreign language activities, etc. in elementary schools.
(3) Assistance in preparation of materials for teaching a foreign language.
(4) Assistance in language training for teachers of a foreign language, etc.
(5) Cooperation in extracurricular activities and club activities (see Note 1).
(6) Provision of information on language and other related subjects for people such as teachers’ consultants and foreign language teachers (e.g. word usage, pronunciation, etc.).
(7) Cooperation in foreign language speech contests.
(8) Cooperation in local international exchange activities.
(9) Other duties as deemed necessary by the supervisor or the school principal.
Detailed information and Application Form
- Application Guidelines(PDF)(261KB)
- Chart Sheet(PDF)(212KB)
- Application Form Instructions(PDF)(198KB)
- Application Form(PDF)(86KB)
- Self-Report of Medical Condition(PDF)(143KB)
- Certificate of Health(PDF)(142KB)
- Statement of Physician(PDF)(135KB)
Further information may be obtained from:
The Embassy of Japan
Cultural and Information Section
259 Baines Street
For More Information: