Application Deadline: September 30th 2017
The SAMA medical education bursary is intended to support South African citizens who live in South Africa and attending medical school in South Africa. The bursaries will only be used to fund study in the medical field i.e. pre-graduate studies towards a MBChB or equivalent degree.
- The SAMA medical education bursary will be offered to a number of disadvantaged and deserving individuals on an annual basis (which annual number would depend on the funds available).
- A pre-graduate bursary in the amount of R20,000.00 will be offered per annum from the first to the fourth year of study and will be paid into the student’s account at the University. The bursary will be non-exclusive (i.e. if the student obtains additional bursaries, this bursary will continue).
- It is envisioned that the continuation of this bursary will be conditional upon the continued pass rate of the student and SAMA will not pay for a repeat year. Continuation of the bursary would be considered for the subsequent year if the student successfully completed the repeat year.
- R10 000.00 will be paid in January after receipt of the previous year’s final examination results as well as the current year’s Proof of Registration with the relevant South African University. The remaining R10 000.00 will be paid in August after receipt of the mid-year examination results.
- Only SA citizens will qualify.
- Historically disadvantaged groups are particularly encouraged to apply.
- Copy of letter of acceptance into an approved South African medical education program. This can be conditional pending final acceptance.
- Scholarship-holders are allowed to hold supplementary bursaries, grants or emoluments with unlimited values.
- If the applicant does receive supplementary funding during the duration of the scholarship, this will need to be declared to the SAMA Bursary Committee
Selection Criteria (Applications are assessed based on potential and academic performance): From the eligible applicants, new students will each year be approved according to their ability to meet the following selection criteria:
- Belonging to historical disadvantage group
- Potential for excellence
- Social and geographic consideration
- Leadership Qualities
- Academic merit including previous prizes and awards
- Recommendation of Referees
Method of payment
- Payment will be made directly to the medical school at the University.
- Once approved for a bursary, a medical student will be paid R10 000.00 in January and the remaining R10 000 in August as stated above in the Policy.
- Payment for the second and subsequent years of study will be made only after submitting proof of successful completion of the previous year of study and proof of enrollment in the next sequential year of study.
Application Closure – September 30th – completed applications must be received by this date.
Applications must include:
- Full name, address, telephone and email contact information
- Copies of documents to demonstrate South African citizenship (e.g. copy of ID or passport photograph page, birth or citizenship certificate).
- A resume outlining education and volunteer experience. Maximum length – 2 pages.
- Copy of letter of acceptance to a South African medical school (this document may only be provided at a later date).
- Complete applications with copies of all required documents, must be received at the following address on or before September 30th:
For More Information: