Application Deadline: June 15 2015
Jointly organized by the United Nations University and the Japan Society for the Promotion of Science (JSPS), the JSPS–UNU Postdoctoral Fellowship Programme is designed to provide promising, highly qualified, young researchers with the opportunity to conduct advanced research relevant to the main thematic focus areas of the UNU Institute for the Advanced Study of Sustainability (UNU-IAS, Tokyo), in co-operation with host researchers at Japanese universities and research institutions. UNU acts as the nominating authority for the JSPS–UNU Programme.
This fellowship is aimed at candidates who have completed their PhD degrees in the past six years and also have professional and/or research experience. UNU will assist in securing acceptance from host researchers for short-listed candidates.
- PhD degree (no ABDs) from a range of disciplines, most likely in the social sciences or humanities including but not limited to geography, public policy, political science, international relations or international law.
- Fluency in written and spoken English is essential, proficiency in French and/or German is also useful.
- Equally qualified candidates from developing countries as well as female candidates will receive preference.
- Applicants must be citizens of countries that have diplomatic relations with Japan. Japanese nationals are not eligible.
- Applicants must hold a doctoral degree (which must have been received on or after 2 April 2009), when the fellowship begins or be scheduled to receive a doctoral degree before the fellowship begins.
- Applicants with at least 10 months research and/or professional experience are especially encouraged to apply.
- A round-trip air ticket (based on JSPS regulations)
- A monthly maintenance allowance of JPY362,000
- A settling-in allowance of JPY200,000, Overseas travel insurance coverage, etc.
- The amounts of the Awards indicated above are subject to change by JSPS.
- If the Fellow resides in Japan on or after the date his/her award letter is issued, the above-mentioned air ticket to Japan and settling-in allowance will not be provided.
- A research grant, “Grant-in-Aid for Scientific Research”, of up to JPY1,500,000 per year (total of JPY3,000,000 for two years – the amount varying depending on the areas/disciplines of research) is available to cover cooperative research-related expenses. Application for these grants is made by the host researcher through his/her institution.
- The JSPS-UNU Postdoctoral Fellowship Programme begins on 1 October and the selected Fellows are required to be in Japan by this date. The deadline for applications is 15 June 2015.
- Interested and eligible candidates are invited to complete the online application form.
- If an applicant does not have access to the Internet, he or she should contact UNU-IAS.
- The online form and the required documents indicated in the form must be in English. If supporting documents are not in English, English translations must be attached.
For More Information: