Application Deadline: November 16th 2018
Training Period: 7th February – 7th July 2019 (5 months)
Location: Lisbon, Portugal
Department: Youth Cooperation Programme
The North-South Centre of the Council of Europe offers traineeships twice a year for a period of three (minimum) to five (maximum) months. In 2018, the traineeship sessions will be as follows:
First session: between January 2019 – June 2019 (deadline 16 November 2018)
Second session: between July 2019 – December 2019 (Deadline: 30 April 2019)
Under the authority of the Executive Director and the supervision of the responsible person for the Youth Co-operation Programme, the trainee will contribute to the North South Centre’s Youth Cooperation Programme by assisting to the preparation, implementation and reporting of the different initiatives and activities at an international level.
Purposes of the traineeship (Article 2: Rule No. 1345 of 23 April 2012 on traineeships and study visits in the Council of Europe Secretariat)
1. A traineeship enables the trainee to gain a general overview of the Organisation’s activities, objectives and work.
2. A traineeship gives the trainee the opportunity to supplement the knowledge acquired through his or her studies or work and to put that knowledge to practical use.
3. A traineeship is intended to promote European integration, enabling the trainee to work in a multicultural and multilingual environment where the values of the Council of Europe are respected.
- The internship is unpaid, however, the North-South Centre guarantees medical and accident insurance during the traineeship period.
- Full-time position (7h45min working hours per day) from Monday to Friday.
The Trainee is entitled of two days/month of leaves.
- Nationality: be a citizen of one of the member states of the North-South Centre and/or the Council of Europe.
- Education: successful completion of at least three years of university studies;
- Language: good knowledge of the Council of Europe’s official languages: English and French.
a. Good writing skills: ability to write briefing papers, reports and other official documents.
b. Capacity to work using the MS Office suite, with specific competence in Excel.
c. Ability to conduct comprehensive research via internet.
d. Experience in the youth-sector or in activities organized by the North South Centre would be beneficial but is not essential.
- Assist in the preparation, implementation and follow-up of activities (conference, training courses etc..)
- Support the production and translation of reports, publication and working documents.
- Collect and systematize relevant data and information.
- Contribute to update the Youth Cooperation webpages, the management of the social media tools and to the overall communication strategy of the programme.
- Participate in other activities related to the permanent processes of the NSC in collaboration with the NSC team.
- Assist in other tasks to be identified by the supervisor and the trainee.
Main learnings outcomes:
- Planning and implementation of international youth events.
- Planning and implementation of youth capacity building programmes.
- Internal procedures of an international organization.
- International youth cooperation policies and practices.
- Strategies of institutional communication.
- Global Education approach and youth work.
- Values and work of the Council of Europe, in particular the North-South Centre.
Competences’ framework of the traineeship:
- Intercultural sensitivity in a multicultural working environment
- Personal skills such as assertiveness, personal efficiency and active listening
- Problem-solving and Team work
- Language and public speaking
- Planning, project management and events’ organisation
- Reporting, writing skills and institutional communication
- Research and analytical skills
On completion of their traineeship, trainees receive a certificate stating the duration and the department in which it was carried out.
How to apply:
- Fill the online application form (Note: the on-line form is the same for all the NSC traineeship opportunities, to apply for the youth programme it has to be chosen the relative option)
- Send the CV and Motivation Letter at [email protected]int
with the subject: SURNAMEName _Youth
- Deadline for application: 16th November 2018.
- Only short-listed applicants will be notified for an interview.
For More Information: