Application Deadline:15 April 2021 (CAT).
Within the framework of the Franco-German Cultural Fund, the French Institute of South Africa (IFAS) and the Goethe Institut are joining forces on a project combining fashion and sustainable development. « True fashion, try on green » is a mentoring programme for young designers in South Africa, which aims at rethinking tomorrow’s fashion in the context of the challenges raised by fast fashion, as well as the impact of the textile industry on the climate.
Young designers residing in South Africa are invited to apply for this mentorship programme, during which they will be designing a sustainable outfit.
Five applications will be selected by a jury of experts from the fashion scene, including designers Lukhanyo Mdingi (South Africa) and Buki Akomolafe (Germany/Nigeria), and founder of CASA 93 fashion school, Nadine Gonzalez (France).
Selected designers will participate to a mentorship programme of three months organised by jury members. Techniques such as upcycling and the use of sustainable materials will be highlighted during the programme.
The five outfits will be presented to the general public in Johannesburg in October 2021. This programme is a unique opportunity for young creators to develop their skills, to promote their work and to gain visibility by participating in this mentoring programme in contact with three experienced mentors
The programme will take place between May and June 2021.
- The competition is open to anyone from 18 years old currently residing in South Africa.
- The closing date of the competition is midnight, 15 April 2021 (CAT).
List of documents to enclose in the application:
- A short presentation in the form of a letter (1 page max) or a video (2 min max) explaining your motivation and answering the following questions:
- How did you become interested in fashion?
- What is your background? Where did you learn and how?
Self-taught profiles are encouraged to apply.
- What is your interest in sustainability in Fashion?
- Your CV (2 pages max) to present your skills.
- A mood board with drawings and an explanation of the sustainable outfit you would like to create during the programme. All formats will be accepted.
- Samples of work (sketches, designs of the last 2 – 3 projects).
Please, send the application by email with the object « Call for application »,
containing all the enclosed documents, to [email protected]
For More Information: