Application Deadline:14th August 2020
The Thomson Foundation Young Journalist Award – in partnership with the UK Foreign Press Association – is Thomson Foundation’s annual journalism competition dedicated to finding and inspiring ambitious journalists from across the globe.
Now in its eighth year, the award enables journalists aged 30 and under, from countries with a Gross National Income (GNI) per capita of less than $20,000, to send in their best stories.
Judges of the award look for stories that are revelatory, prompt public debate and have led to, or have the potential to lead to, positive change in society
- Each entrant should submit a portfolio of THREE published or broadcast pieces of work produced in the 12 months preceding 14th August, 2020 (the 12 months prior to the deadline for submissions).
- The entries can be in any format: print, audio, video, multimedia, or a combination of all four.
- Applicants can provide URL links to their stories online. If necessary, they can use a file-transfer application such as Google Drive for scans or PDFs of print articles, and for large audio or video files.
- A written statement of no more than 200 words per story giving a summary of the content and any impact it had on public debate in the country of publication or broadcast, should also be submitted.
- Entries can be in any language but should be accompanied by a verbatim English-language translation.
- Entries should be accompanied by a letter from the applicant’s current editor, on headed company notepaper verifying that it is the published work of the entrant. Where an entrant is freelance, or self-employed, verification can be provided by an editor from one of the publications/websites/broadcasters where the work appeared, or by a journalism academic familiar with the work of the entrant.
*A VERIFICATION LETTER MUST BE SUPPLIED WITH YOUR SUBMISSION. THIS CAN BE SHARED WITH US VIA A LINK TO DROPBOX, GOOGLE DRIVE OR SIMILAR. ALTERNATIVELY, PLEASE SEND BY EMAIL TO [email protected] WITH YOUR NAME CLEARLY MARKED IN THE SUBJECT LINE. PLEASE NOTE, WE WILL ONLY ACCEPT VERIFICATION LETTERS VIA EMAIL, EVERYTHING ELSE SHOULD BE PROVIDED USING THE ONLINE ENTRY FORM.
UPDATE: With the Covid-19 crisis evolving rapidly, the problem of international travel and quarantine issues are likely to persist for some time, and progress at different rates in different parts of the world. Should UK restrictions be relaxed by late November, the Foreign Press Association will go ahead with its annual awards ceremony and dinner. However, we cannot guarantee that we will be able to invite competition finalists to London to attend the awards night.
For More Information: