FULL TIME JOB VACANCY
JOB TITLE: United Nations Advocacy Officer (UNAO)
PROGRAM: Arab Regional Advocacy Program (ARAP)
LOCATION: Geneva, Switzerland (Geneva Office of the Cairo Institute for Human Rights Studies/GO-CIHRS)
DURATION: 1 year, with possibility of renewal
REMUNERATION: Competitive salary rate for Geneva non-governmental organizations
The Cairo Institute for Human Rights Studies (CIHRS) is seeking well-qualified applicants for the position of a United Nations Advocacy Officer of the Arab Regional Advocacy Program (ARAP).
The UNAO reports to the Director of the Geneva Office of CIHRS (GO-CIHRS).
As the United Nations Advocacy Officer for the ARAP you will become a “consultant” on United Nations human rights policy and mechanisms for human rights defenders from throughout the Arab region, and act as a full time advocate at the UN and other international advocacy targets to further the human rights goals of CIHRS and its partners.
This will require you to help build the capacities and assist partner organizations and human rights defenders from throughout the Arab region to effectively influence and attain outcomes from international advocacy targets, with a specific focus on the United Nations, and act as the in-house expert at CIHRS on the political, legal and procedural aspects of United Nations human rights mechanisms.
The full-time UN Advocacy Officer performs advocacy, outreach, training and research duties in the context of the United Nations, as well as other tasks, according to the needs of the organization and its partners. As the UN Advocacy Officer you will be working with a small team of co-workers within the Geneva Office of CIHRS, as well as with a larger team of program and CIHRS staff located in multiple countries.
Finally you will also be working with partner organizations and human rights activists from throughout the Arab region and around the world to carry out national, regional and global human rights advocacy campaigns and initiatives.
Skills and experience:
- A university degree in law or relevant social science field (e.g. Human Rights, Political Science, International Relations, etc.). Master’s Degree preferable; an academic background in human rights is an asset;
- Very strong understanding of United Nations processes, international politics and international human rights mechanisms; experience engaging with UN strongly preferred;
- Relevant work experience strongly preferred;
- Strong public speaking and presentation skills;
- Excellent written and oral communication skills in English and Arabic, French skills a strong asset;
- Excellent analytical skills and a strong understanding of the political and social context in the Arab region and the human rights field is expected;
- Ability to formulate and carry out successful human rights advocacy campaigns;
- Demonstrated commitment to universal human rights;
- Willingness and ability to travel regularly, work extra hours (sometimes during weekends), work well under pressure and adapt to emerging issues and changing priorities;
- The ability to work both as part of a team and to be individually motivated and organized;
- Ability to work in a multicultural environment;
- Willingness to take on new and challenging tasks and goals
HOW TO APPLY:
All applicants must submit:
- Updated CV or resume (including details of language skills)
- Cover letter, containing two references with email and phone contact information
- Please indicate which position is being applied for in the subject line of the email
Applications should be submitted by September 10, 2014 to Mr Jeremie Smith ([email protected]).
For More Information: