Application Deadline: 30 April 2018 at 7 p.m. Paris time (GMT + 2).
Specially conceived for young people between the ages of 18 and 28, #MyAfricanheritage is an Instagram contest aiming to promote the exceptional cultural and natural heritage of the African continent. Each participant will post a photo of an African site inscribed on the World Heritage List along with a brief description of the site’s significance to the participant and his/her personal experience during the visit.
The top three entries will win a trip for two to one of the following World Heritage sites: Ngorongoro Conservation Area (NCA) & Serengeti National Park (United Republic of Tanzania), Robben Island (South Africa) and Cidade Velha, Historic of Ribeira Grande (Cabo Verde). The winners will have a unique opportunity to discover these extraordinary sites and the people who work on a daily basis to preserve them. The prizes have been generously offered by:
- Ngorongoro Conservation Area Authorities
- Robben Island Museum and the African World Heritage Fund
- Instituto do Património Cultural (IPC) in charge of Cidade Velha’s management.
In addition, the photos of the top ten entries will be published on the websites of UNESCO’s World Heritage Centre and African World Heritage Fund (AWHF).
1. An individual between 18 and 28 years old from any country can take part in this contest. Members of current UNESCO staff (either permanent or temporary), parents, siblings, children and spouses of UNESCO staff are not eligible to participate.
2. The Entries are intended to present and promote African World Heritage and the importance of the World Heritage Convention in Africa. They can relate to cultural, natural or mixed World Heritage properties (i.e., sites that are inscribed on the World Heritage list (http://whc.unesco.org/en/list/).
3. There are no limits on the number of Entries that each Entrant can submit. The photo can be prepared using a mobile phone, camera or any other device. Any expenses incurred during submission are to be borne by the Participant.
4. There is no registration. Entry is determined by the posting of the photo with accompanying description on Instagram and tagging it with the #MyAfricanHeritage hashtag. To be eligible, Instagram Entries MUST be set as ‘Public’ so that they are visible to UNESCO.
5. Entries must be submitted to Instagram before 30 April 2018 at 7 p.m. Paris time (GMT + 2). Entries published after this deadline shall not be considered. UNESCO shall not bear any responsibility for late or lost Entries due to network failure or any other reason.
1st Prize: Trip to United Republic of Tanzania
To visit two World Heritage sites: Ngorongoro Conservation Area and Serengeti National Park
The prize includes
- Two return air tickets to United Republic of Tanzania and ground transportation
- Full board accommodation for 5 days for 2 people
- Entrance to the World Heritage sites
- Guided tours
2nd Prize: Trip to South Africa
To visit the World Heritage site of Robben Island
The prize includes
- Two return air tickets to South Africa
- Ground and ferry transportation to Robben Island
- Full board accommodation on the island for 3 days for 2 people
- Entrance to the World Heritage site and a guided tour
3rd Prize: Trip to Cabo Verde
To visit the World Heritage site of Cidade Velha, Historic Centre of Ribeira Grande
The prize includes
- Ground transportation from Praia to Cidade Velha
- Full board accommodation for 3 days for 2 people
- Entrance to the World Heritage site
- Guided tour
Flight tickets are not provided
Entries to the competition will be evaluated
keeping in mind the following criteria:
Is the photo original and aesthetically pleasing?
We are looking for creative stories and unique photo shots!
What is your connection to the site?
The World Heritage site should be clearly identified in the photo.
Does it capture the exceptional character of the site?
We will evaluate the composition of the photographs submitted.
Why are UNESCO and the AWHF organizing this photo contest?
The theme of the third edition of African World Heritage Day, to be celebrated on 5 May, is “Cherishing our African Heritage” and is dedicated to African youth. This celebration will also serve to raise awareness of the value of African heritage and the need to preserve it for future generations.
Application Deadline: 30 April 2018
Winner Announcement : The winners of the competition will be announced on the African World Heritage Day, 5 May 2018
For More Information: