Submission Deadline: 21 May 2016 (World Day for Cultural Diversity for the Dialogue and Development)
Words can be as powerful as actions, books are our best allies in education. Regardless
of who you are and where you come from, books will give you a unique perspective.
#WordsofTolerance is a social media campaign whose goal is to promote books and reading and spread the message of tolerance. It is launched alongside World Book and Copyright Day, celebrated by UNESCO every 23 April.
The year 2016 is special, marking the 400th anniversary of the death of two exceptional writers: William Shakespeare and Miguel de Cervantes. UNESCO is curious to know
which famous author has inspired you by one of his/her memorable thoughts.
Share your favorite quote and show us the best places to read or find books in your town.
It doesn’t matter if you live in a big city, small town or a village, we would like to see all types of libraries and bookstores.
- Any individual from any country can take part. Current UNESCO staff (either permanent or temporary) are not eligible to participate.
- The entries are intended to promote the World Book and Copyright Day, by interpreting
one of the quotes from a famous author, thus encouraging creativity and freedom ofexpression.
There are no limits on the number of entries that each entrant can submit.
After 21 May 2016 the top fifteen (15) entries will be contacted via the social mediaprofile used to submit the entry and asked to provide the following information:1. The quote’s reference: name of the author, entire title of the play, poem or novel2. The place where the photo is taken3. The name of the building and its relation to books4. The name of the photographer (entrant)5. The date when the photo was taken
6. The full name of the person/people appearing on the photo, if applicable.
UNESCO will select the winning Entries on the basis of the following main criteria:
1. Originality : use your imagination and create something unique and memorable
2. Effectiveness: Ability of the Entry to effectively promote the values of UNESCO through a quote and illustration
3. Quality: composition and aesthetics of the photo submitted
- The winner will receive the book “Art for Peace”, illustrating UNESCO art collection, the largest one of the United Nations, as well as a UNESCO gift bag containing various items (approximate value 120 Euros).
- There will be no cash alternatives
The following four entries will receive the book “Earth Legacy, Natural World Heritage”, displaying iconic photographs of landscapes and wildlife, as well as a UNESCO gift bag.
The top 15 entries will receive the book “70 quotes” celebrating the 70th anniversaryof UNESCO and will be showcased on the World Book and Copyright Day webpage as part of #WordsofTolerance Contest
How to Participate:
1. Think of one of your favorite quote that is inspiring for you (if you don’t know any, run to the nearest library!).The quote should be in English, French,Spanish,Arabic, Chinese or Russian and symbolize one of the core values that UNESCO stands for, such as: tolerance, humanism, peace…
2. Find your favorite library, bookstore or any other book-related institution in your town
and strike a pose capturing both you and the building!
3. Take a photo that reflects your spirit through this quote. For example:
Quote: “Have more than you show, speak less than you know.” – W. Shakespeare
4. Post your photo on Instagram
I participate = I follow UNESCO on Instagram
- The contest includes four stages in order to approve your submission:
Quote : choose a quote from your favorite author
Picture: take a picture of you and a library or bookstore of your choice and relate
it to the quote in a fun and creative way
Social media: submit the two elements on Instagram under the tag #WordsofTolerance
(* please, take notice that the quote is separated and not on the photo)
Geolocation: mark the place where the photo is taken by adding a geotag
For More Information: