Application Deadline: 1 April 2018 (23.59 CET)
WFP’s Innovation Accelerator identifies, nurtures and scales bold solutions to hunger globally. We support WFP innovators and external start-ups and companies through financial support, access to a network of experts and a global field reach.
The Accelerator believes the way forward in the fight against hunger is not necessarily in building grand plans, but identifying and testing solutions in an agile way. It is a space where the world can find out what works and what doesn’t in addressing hunger – a place where we can be bold, and fail as well as succeed.
Based in Munich, Germany, the WFP Innovation Accelerator helps identify, develop and roll out bold new ideas for a world with zero hunger. As of July 2017, more than 20 internal-WFP innovation projects or startups are supported, addressing a range of challenges from growing food in the desert, to helping smallholder farmers access local markets. Innovation projects / startups selected by the Accelerator participate in an intensive 3–6 month ‘Sprint Programme’ that helps them reach proof of concept, develop prototypes ready for implementation, and/or scale.
Applications to the WFP Innovation Accelerator are scored according to a standard set of criteria, and are reviewed by both internal and external experts. WFP look for startups that meet the following expectations:
• High potential to reach Zero Hunger
• High level of innovation – could be on the technology, business model or systems
• Strong team – team track record together, individual skills
• Scalability potential
• Financial sustainability of the project – have a sustainable business model that doesn’t rely on WFP
• Proven problem and traction
- Apply to the WFP Innovation Accelerator and receive up to 100,000 USD in funding, mentorship from industry experts and access to the world’s largest humanitarian organisation.
- Teams receive financial support, guidance and space to bring their idea to life from the Munich-based Accelerator.
For More Information: