Submission Deadline: January 31st 2017
Wiki Loves Africa is a photo competition to share the daily practices of people across the continent with each other and the rest of the world, via Wikipedia.
Wiki Loves Africa is a public annual contest where people across Africa can contribute media (photographs, video and audio) about their environment to Wikimedia Commons for use on Wikipedia and other project websites of the Wikimedia Foundation.
Wiki Loves Africa particularly encourages participants to contribute media that illustrate a specific theme for that year. Each year the theme changes and could include any universal, visually rich and culturally specific topic (for example, markets, rites of passage, festivals, public art, cuisine, natural history, urbanity, daily life, notable persons, etc).
The project is run across the whole continent, however, some specific actions (training, communication etc.) are held in some countries with national organisers.
The competition scope is: submissions that promotes Africa’s rich heritage and culture expressed through music, song, dance, and movement.
What prizes are up for grabs?
- 1st prize: US$600 + see below
- 2nd prize: US$400 + see below
- 3rd prize: US$200 + see below
- Community Prize: US$200 + see below
Each winner will also receive a year’s subscription to Adobe Creative Cloud Photography Plan, and a portable power pack.
Images submitted to the Wiki Loves Africa contest may win prizes! There are a few rules to respect for the images to be eligible.
- Rule 1: All photos must be taken by the person submitting them. They can be either self-uploaded or uploaded during a registered mass upload session.
- Rule 2: Upload can only be done in December 2016 and January 2017. But you can enter media that was taken at any time, even historical photographs (as long as you own the copyright on these photographs).
- Rule 3: Images must be free of watermarks or embedded signatures to be eligible. All entries will automatically be submitted under a free licence such as Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 4.0 (CC-BY-SA 4.0) (or in the public domain). Read more about the cc-by-sa license here.
- Rule 4: All eligible pictures will be categorised under Images from Wiki Loves Africa 2016, this will be automatically assigned during the upload process.
- Rule 5: Participants should enable e-mail on Wikimedia Commons so they can be contacted should their image be chosen for a prize.
How to enter Wiki Loves Africa?
Entering Wiki Loves Africa Music and Dance is easy! Follow these 4 steps:
- Step 1: Take some photos.
- Step 2: Select the best.
- Step 3: Create an account on Commons to take part. Register here.
- Step 4: Use the Upload Wizard to enter your photographs.
For More Information: