Application Deadline:midnight, May 26, 2020
Every April 26, we celebrate the World Intellectual Property Day to learn about the role that intellectual property rights play in encouraging innovation and creativity. This year, the World Intellectual Property Day puts innovation – and the intellectual property rights that support it – at the heart of efforts to create a green future. Why? Because the choices we make today will shape our tomorrow.
The earth is our home. We need to care for it. As part of efforts to celebrate this day, the WIPO Nigeria Office welcomes the participation of all students of tertiary institutions across Nigeria in a National Intellectual Property Essay Competition. In line with the theme for the World Intellectual Property Day, essay entries should address the topic “Making innovation work for a green future in Nigeria.”
Essay entries on the topic “Making innovation work for a green future in Nigeria.” will be assessed for factual accuracy, imagination, originality and innovative thought, by an independent expert panel of judges drawn from leading intellectual-property practitioners, policy experts, scholars and regulators from across the country.
Participation will provide students with an unparalleled opportunity to research and learn more about the field of intellectual
property, and contribute fresh ideas to the narrative around sustainable and environmentally-friendly innovation in Nigeria.
This competition is open to all registered students of tertiary institutions in Nigeria.
Author of the winning essay will be awarded a scholarship by the WIPO Academy to attend the WIPO Summer School in South Africa.
- Authors of the top three essays will receive special WIPO gift packages, including official WIPO certificates of achievement.
- Authors of the top 10 essays will be invited to participate in an intellectual property study tour of key intellectual property institutions in Nigeria, facilitated by the WIPO Nigeria Office.
- Authors of the top 10 essays will receive scholarships for WIPO Academy Distance Learning and/or Blended IP Training in
- Top entries will be submitted to the editors of the WIPO Magazine for possible publication.
- Several other exciting intellectual property learning and professional prizes will be won!
- Clarity of expression, flow, and thought.
- Relevance and practicality of essay within the local Nigerian context.
- Relevance of essay to the field of intellectual property.
- Contribution of essay to relevant national, regional, or international developments in the area selected by the author.
Entries should be no longer than 1,500 words and should be submitted to [email protected] on or before midnight, May 26, 2020
with the subject title: Initial.Surname_WIPD Essay Competition (e.g., T.Olayemi_WIPD Essay Competition). Winners will be announced in June.
For More Information: