Application Deadline: April 1st 2019
WMF’s signature program, Empowerment Through Education (ETE), provides undergraduate scholarships to developing country nationals to study in their home country or a neighboring country. WMF believes it is important to educate people locally and to encourage WMF Scholars to become change agents in their local communities.
The Ideal Candidate – A student, male or female, from a country in the developing world who:
- Successfully completed a secondary education, with good to excellent grades
- Will be studying in his or her country or another country in the developing world
- Plans to live and work in his or her own country after graduation
- Has volunteered prior to applying for this scholarship and/or is willing to volunteer while receiving the WMI scholarship
- May have some other funds available for his or her education, but will not be able to go to school without a scholarship
The scholarship awards are determined by the board of directors of the Wells Mountain Initiative and awarded once a year. Applications must be received by April 1 of each year to be considered for the following academic year. The selected WMI Scholarship recipients will be emailed on August 1.
Before applying, we strongly encourage you to read the WMI Scholar Program Information Sheet and also the Frequently Asked Questions for Prospective Scholars document. These two documents will assist you in determining your eligibility and guide you in the application process.
The following are required elements for an application to be considered complete:
- Clear personal photo
- Two essays (topics are stated on application form)
- 2019 application form
- Personal essay statement
- Two recommendation letters*
- Official transcript of grades from secondary school
- Official grading key to interpret secondary school grades**
- Official transcript of grades from tertiary studies (if applicable)
- Official grading key to interpret tertiary grades**
- Official results from your national exam
- Official grading key to interpret scores on your national exam**
How to Apply
- If you qualify, now is the time to apply for this exciting opportunity! Since 2005, we have supported more than 345 students worldwide. Please note that in our recent years, we have only been able to select approximately 5% of applicants to become a part of this program.
- The number we select is based solely upon limited funding, as nearly all applicants are extremely deserving. As our organization grows, so will the number of WMI Scholars we can accept each year. We encourage you to apply AND to continue searching for additional ways to finance your education.
There are two ways to apply: Online, or by mailing in a completed application packet to our office.
APPLYING ONLINE: You will be redirected to a portal where you will be asked to create a free account (username and password), fill out information and upload documents. We strongly suggest that you apply online as it will provide you with the opportunity to save your work and return multiple times. You will also guarantee that your application, once submitted online, will be received and reviewed.
File format types accpeted are: JPG, PNG, GIF, DOC, DOCX, PDF (version 10 or newer).
For More Information: