Application Deadline: September 30, 2023
The Women for Africa Foundation (FMxA), in line with its mission of contributing to the development of Africa through the drive of its women, is launching the 9th Edition of SCIENCE BY WOMEN programme, with the aim to promote African women’s leadership in scientific research and technology transfer and to foster the capacity of the research centres in their home countries. The main goal is to enable African women researchers and scientists to tackle the great challenges faced by Africa through research in health and biomedicine, sustainable agriculture and food security, water, energy and climate change.
Women’s lives are significantly affected by the repercussions of uncontrolled development; however, social, structural and economic barriers limit their capacity to tackle the great challenges faced by the continent. The gender disparities in science and technology in both the public and private spheres affect Africa’s population as a whole. Narrowing this gap, which has severe consequences on the balanced and sustainable development of African countries, is vital to achieve long-term progress and equal growing.
The programme´s ultimate goal is to enable African women researchers to play a leading role in the transition of Africa to a knowledge-based and innovation-led economy through research that can be transferred into products, processes, services and technologies having impact on people´s lives.
The Science by Women program will fund six-month visiting senior research fellowships for experienced African women researchers in different international research centres of excellence based in Spain.
The preferred areas of research include:
- Health and Bio-medicine
- Energy, Water and Climate Change
- Sustainable Agriculture and Food Safety
In general, the duration of the research stays will be six continuous months. Nevertheless, depending on personal and professional needs, and with approval of the host research centre, the planned research may be split in two stays to be completed within two years after the fellowship has been awarded.
Applicants must meets the following requirements:
- Being a woman
- Having the nationality of an African country
- Holding a PhD. Post-doctoral experience is preferred
- Current contractual relationship with a university or a public or private non-profit organization based in Africa dedicated to significant scientific research in the areas indicated above
- Excellent academic record and proven track of relevant research experience
- Solid working knowledge of English
Successful candidates will have access to the following benefits:
- Return flight from their centre of origin to the host institution
- Living allowance of 2.400 Euros (before 24% taxes)per month to cover accommodation, personal expenses and health and occupational accident insurance coverage
Beneficiaries must devote themselves entirely to research at the assigned research centre and may not be beneficiaries of any other fellowship, grant, stipend or regular income during their research stay.
How to apply
The deadline for applications is September 30, 2023. Only applications submitted in English via the Science by Women microsite at www.mujeresporafrica.es will be accepted.
Candidates must submit the following documents:
- Letter of Interest (max. 1 page)
- Full curriculum vitae (Europass format is ecommended)
- Fully filled form
- Brief but concise description of the project to be developed in the Spanish host centre (max. 2 pages).
For More Information: