Application Deadline: March 9th 2016
As part of the 40th session of the World Heritage Committee and in the framework of the UNESCO World Heritage Education Programme, the Turkish National Commission for UNESCO and the Istanbul Site Management Directorate are organizing the World Heritage Youth Forum 2016: “At the Crossroads of Multi-Layered Heritage” from 29 June to 12 July 2016.
Young representatives, aged from 22 to 28, from 35 countries, will have the opportunity to exchange ideas, contribute to the discussions and immerse themselves in topics within the scope of multi-layered heritage.
The Forum seeks to deepen youth knowledge and understanding the importance of:
- the implementation of the World Heritage Convention,
- the working methods of the World Heritage Committee,
- the challenges and opportunities of the protection of multi-layered World Heritage sites.
The Turkish National Commission for UNESCO and the Istanbul Site Management Directorate are pleased to invite young people interested in topics related to World Heritage who are:
- Aged from 22 to 28
- Fluent in English (Please note: No interpretation will be provided. The programme will take place in English only)
- Citizens of one of the 21 Member States of the current World Heritage Committee (Angola, Azerbaijan, Burkina Faso, Croatia, Cuba, Finland, Indonesia, Jamaica, Kazakhstan, Kuwait, Lebanon, Peru, Philippines, Poland, Portugal, Republic of Korea, Tunisia, Turkey, United Republic of Tanzania, Viet Nam, Zimbabwe) and Albania, Bosnia-Herzegovina, Georgia, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Italy, Japan, Mexico, Norway, Pakistan, Palestine, The former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia, Qatar
- Involved in heritage-related fields such as; World Heritage Studies (Landscape), Architecture, Urban Planning, Constructional Engineering, Archaeology, Sociology, Intangible Cultural Heritage, Anthropology, Ethnology, Ethnography, Economy, History, Art History, Communication, Law, Tourism, Natural and Cultural Heritage, Geography, International Relations
- Motivated, active and driven individuals interested to implement the outcomes of the Forum in their respective countries
- Young people from all over the world, aged between 22 and 28 years old, who are interested in heritage will be provided the opportunity to exchange ideas, broaden their outlook and contribute to the discussions and immerse themselves in topics such as urban life and its culture, natural landscape, importance and protection of constructions and the silhouette of the city within the scope of multi-layered heritage.
Scheduled activities include:
- visits to World Heritage sites, including Bursa and Cumalıkızık, with the international heritage experts,
- workshops on different aspects emerging from the multi-layered sites,
- practical hands-on activities with timber and stone work for the protection and the maintenance of the World Heritage sites in Istanbul,
- experts and young delegates presentations,
- participation in the discussions on the state of conservation of properties,
- practicing the Youth Model simulation with the scenario on the evaluation of Iznik’s nomination for the World Heritage List which is a multi-layered settlement inscribed on the Tentative List of Turkey,
- drawing up the final document of the Forum for presentation during the Opening Ceremony of the 40th World Heritage Committee,
- attendance to the first session of the 40th World Heritage Committee.
The young representatives will prepare the final document of the Forum to be presented during the Opening Ceremony of the 40th World Heritage Committee Session. They will also participate in the first plenary day of the World Heritage Committee to observe how the Committee works.
In order to provide an occasion for the young representatives to exchange ideas with the delegates we ensure the participation of the young representatives on the first plenary day, 11 July 2016.
- The attendance during the full length of the event (arrival 29 June, departure 12 July 2016) is mandatory.
- Young representatives should be committed to invest time to prepare and follow up the Forum.
- Each representative is invited to make a 5-minute presentation on a (multi-layered) World Heritage Site in the participants’ countries.
- The organizers will make all of the flight arrangements and cover the travel costs (economy class) as well as accommodation during the stay in Turkey (including visa fees, where applicable) for all participants.
- In case of participant’s attendance, beyond 11 July 2016, to the World Heritage Committee Session, all the related costs should be covered by the concerned Member
- Successful applicants will be informed by 15 April 2016 at the latest.
- From each country mentioned above, only one candidate can be accepted.
- The candidates are expected to be aware of the World Heritage concept. The selection will be based on the fulfilment of the required profile and will take into consideration the diversity and complementarity of experiences among participants as well as gender balance.
- Young participants who fit the above profile and who are motivated to participate actively in the Youth Forum are invited to fill out the application form in English.
- The Application Form can be found at the following link:
For More Information: