Application Deadline: September 12th, 2016 at 5:00 PM EAT.
The YALI Regional Leadership Center East Africa is looking for young men and women between the ages of 18 and 35 from Burundi, Central African Republic, Congo, DRC, Djibouti, Eritrea, Ethiopia, Kenya, Rwanda, Tanzania, Somalia, South Sudan, Sudan, and Uganda who are ready to embrace leadership and work hard to transform their countries.
The Young African Leaders Initiative (YALI) was launched by President of the United States Barack Obama as a signature effort to invest in the next generation of African leaders. The need to invest in grooming strong, results-oriented leaders comes out of the statistics: nearly 1 in 3 Africans are between the ages of 10 and 24, and approximately 60% of Africa’s total population is below the age of 35.
Located at Kenyatta University, in Nairobi, Kenya, the Center is more than a location for learning or a venue for collaboration; it is a philosophy, a forward-leaning culture of diversity that invites dreaming and thinking differently to define and realize one’s potential. The program is inclusive, embracing future leaders regardless of religion, ethnicity, socio-economic status, gender, or disability.
Competition for the YALI Regional Leadership Center East Africa is merit-based and open to young East African leaders who meet the following criteria:
- Are 18 to 35 years of age at the time of application submission,
- Are citizens and residents of one of the following countries: Burundi, Central African Republic. Republic of the Congo, Democratic Republic of the Congo, Djibouti, Eritrea, Ethiopia, Kenya, Rwanda, Somalia, South Sudan, Sudan, Tanzania, Uganda,
- Are not U.S. citizens or permanent residents of the U.S.
- Are eligible to receive any necessary visa to Kenya, and
- Are proficient in reading, writing, listening and speaking English.
- Business and Entrepreneurship
- Civic Leadership
- Public Management
Selection for participation in the YALI Regional Leadership Center East Africa will be conducted as a merit-based, open competition. All eligible applications will be reviewed by a selection panel. Chosen semi-finalists will then be interviewed before a final selection is made and an invitation to join the program is issued.
Selection panels will use the following criteria to evaluate applications:
- A demonstrated leadership in public service, business and entrepreneurship, or civic engagement.
- Active engagement in public or community service, volunteerism, or mentorship.
- The ability to work cooperatively in diverse groups and respect the opinions of others.
- Strong social and communication skills.
- An energetic, positive attitude.
- A demonstrated knowledge, interest, and professional experience in the sector/track selected, and
- A commitment to apply leadership skills and training to benefit your country and/or community after the program.
Applicants will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, ethnicity, color, gender, religion, socio-economic status, disability, sexual orientation, or gender
- The participants immerse themselves in a 12-week course of study, three weeks of residential learning on-site at the Center in Nairobi;
- Eight weeks of virtual distance learning via technology from their home countries; and a final week on-site at the Center in Nairobi for wrap-up and presentations.
- The Center benefits the participants by linking them to a network of other young leaders from East Africa empowering them by enhancing their skills and confidence to lead; providing guidance from some of the best business and leadership minds in Africa; and opportunities for internships, among other benefits.
For More Information: