Application Deadline: August 1st 2014
AJ+, Al Jazeera’s new digital channel, seeks six budding journalists from across the globe to take part in its first fellowship program. AJ+ or Al Jazeera Plus is an English language all digital video news and current events channel primarily based on YouTube.
The one-year fellowship will allow the chosen journalists to hone their crafts autonomously while also receiving support from Al Jazeera’s structured news-gathering organization.
You’re passionate about empowerment and a wizard on social media. You’re on top of all the big news stories, but you’re just as sharply tuned in to the micro-conversations happening across your region that aren’t making headlines.
You can identify and effectively interact with a range of influencers across your region. You can write a punchy tweet, and you can engage people in and help drive a substantive conversation online. Plus, you can crack a joke now and then.
You don’t need a PhD or decades of experience. You don’t even need a gazillion Twitter followers. But you do have to be downright obsessed with the news and trends in your region and – just as importantly – with the pursuit of unearthing untold stories. You’ll also ideally have some experience under your belt that shows us you can do the job, whether that’s activism, reporting, blogging or something else altogether.
One fellow will be chosen from each of the following regions: North America, Central and South America, Europe, Middle East and North Africa, Sub-Saharan Africa and Asia-Pacific.
Fellows will be trained at the AJ+ headquarters in San Francisco for three weeks before returning to their home regions to begin their reporting
- You’ll spend 2-3 weeks with us in San Francisco, then head back home and work remotely from there.
- But don’t think ‘working from home’ means kicking back. For your entire region, you’re the eyes and ears on the ground, and you’ll be in daily contact with us here in San Francisco.
- This is full-time and full on. It’s also an incredible opportunity to sharpen skills, work with a brilliant team, and be in a position that permits you to empower and give voice to others.
- Tracking trends online and on the ground across your region
- Moderating digital discussions to keep things in line when opinions turn to shouts
- Pitching fresh angles and stories from your region to our teams in SF
- Encouraging folks in your region to engage with AJ+
- Fill out this form
- Step 2:Shoot us one Tweet at @AJPlus telling us why you’re #Fellow material
- Step 3: Send your CV here: [email protected] (please indicate the region for which you’re applying in the subject line)
- Working and bonding with your five fellow Fellows to help us roll out AJ+ around the globe in style