Application Deadline: August 15 2014
Postgraduate fellowships are offered to female scientists by the Organization for Women in Science for the Developing World (OWSD).
Postgraduate Training Fellowships for Women Scientists from Sub-Saharan Africa and Least Developed Countries (LDC) at Centres of Excellence in the South. The Fellowship is offered to women scientists to pursue postgraduate research in a field of the natural sciences.
The OWSD fellowship is awarded to women scientists from Sub-Saharan Africa and Least Developed Countries (LDCs) to pursue a PhD at a centre of excellence in the South in a field of the natural sciences.
The general purpose of the scheme is to contribute to the emergence of a new generation of women leaders in science and technology, and to promote their effective participation in the scientific and technological development of their countries.
- The fellowships are open to qualified young women science graduates (generally below 40 years of age) from countries in Sub-Saharan Africa and/or LDCs.
- The minimum qualification of applicants is an MSc degree (or equivalent), or an outstanding BSc honours degree, in the natural sciences, engineering or information technology disciplines.
- Applicants already on site in the host country will not be considered eligible.
- The host institute where the applicant wishes to pursue her doctorate degree must be in a developing country other than her own.
- The applicant must be willing to return to her own country after completion of the fellowship.
Two reference letters from senior scientists familiar with the applicant’s studies must be enclosed with the application in sealed envelopes OR must be sent by email toThe subject line of the email must contain: OWSD/PG/candidate’s surname. Only signed reference letters can be accepted.
Applications must be clearly typewritten in English and completed in all parts; OWSD will not process incomplete and/or illegible applications. OWSD will inform the applicant as soon as the application is processed.
The application form is available as a MS Word document.
For More Information: