Application Deadline: 31 October 2014, 23.59 CET.
The Tim Hetherington Grant is an annual 20,000 euro grant awarded to a visual journalist to finalize an ongoing project on a human rights theme.
World Press Photo and Human Rights Watch are delighted to invite all photojournalists, documentary photographers and multimedia producers around the world to apply for the fourth annual Tim Hetherington Grant. The grant, worth 20,000 euro, is intended for the support of a visual storyteller in completing an existing project on a human rights theme.
The grant celebrates the legacy of photojournalist and filmmaker Tim Hetherington, who was killed when a group of journalists came under fire during fighting between rebels and General Gaddafi’s forces in Misrata, Libya in April 2011. Tim Hetherington was committed to finding new ways to tell compelling stories about politics, conflict and the human experience, and to relay these stories to a wide audience.
- The application process is open to all professional visual journalists worldwide and is free to enter.
- All entries must include the personal and professional details of the participant. The visual journalist’s professional status must be established by WeTransferring a document of verification (press card, union membership card, letter of reference or other official document) with the submitted work.
- Before you can submit your application, you must agree to the declaration
and entry rules.
The recipient guarantees that, to the best of their knowledge, no third party can claim rights or raise objections to publication, reproduction, and distribution of the material submitted.
- A panel of judges reviews the applications for qualities that defined Tim’s career. Successful candidates present work on a human rights theme that operates on multiple platforms and in a variety of formats; that crosses boundaries between breaking news and longer-term investigation; and that demonstrates a consistent moral commitment to the lives and stories of the subjects.
- The Tim Hetherington Grant is a joint initiative of World Press Photo and Human Rights Watch, with the support of Tim’s parents, Alastair and Judith Hetherington.
The name of the recipient of the grant will be announced in New York City on 10 December.
For more information: