Application Deadline: November 9 2014
UNESCO is launching a photo competition for 18-30 year olds, with a USD$500 prize for the winner. The winner will also have the chance of seeing their photo printed in the next Education for All (EFA) Global Monitoring Report (GMR) and promoted globally to media and at our numerous launch events.
The annual Education for All Global Monitoring Report, published by UNESCO, is the international reference aimed at monitoring and advocating for Education for All. It is published in over 50 countries every year, and mentioned in around 500 media articles on average every month. Further information about the Report can be found on our website: www.efareport.unesco.org including photo examples from past reports.
The next edition of the EFA Report is due out in April 2015 and will review how well the EFA movement has contributed to ensuring all children, young people and adults enjoy their right to a quality education. Find out more about the next report.
The design brief
- The submission must be a photo(s) that you took in the highest resolution your camera allows that clearly represents one or both of the above themes. You must gain written permission from all people in your photos to allow them to be used by us.
- Each photo should be accompanied by description text that includes a short artist biography and a caption stating where and when the photo was taken, a relevant quote if possible and the names of any people in your photo(s) as well as the credit you would like to be used if your photo is chosen (likely format Credit: YOURNAME/UNESCO).
- Please note you will be judged on the photo alone, not the supporting text – this will purely be used for contextual purposes.
As the next Report will look at progress in education from 2000 to today, your photo should illustrate ideas linked to youth, education, literacy, skills and/or the world of work among members of your community over the past fifteen years.
First prize = $500
Second prize = $250
Third prize = $100.
If selected, your photo(s) will be put forward for selection to appear in the full EFA Global Monitoring Report 2015 and other outreach material credited with your name. It will feature on the website of UNESCO’s EFA Global Monitoring Report and will be offered to journalists as part of the package of materials they can use to help cover the story in the Report.
Who can enter
To be eligible for the prize, you must be aged between 18 and 30 years during the period of this competition (1 October 2014 to 9 November 2014). Proof of identity will be required from all finalists.
Contestants may submit multiple entries but no more than 4 per photographer.
How to submit your photo(s)
Please send your photo(s) in electronic format by following the instructions below:
- go to www.unesco.org/tools/filedepot/
- enter your name and email
- upload your file
- enter recipient email: [email protected]
- enter message to recipient: “2014 Photo Competition”. If you are submitting more than one photo (no more than 4 can be submitted in total), please format your submissions as follows: “2014 Photo Competition 1/4”, followed by “2014 Photo Competition 2/4” etc. Please also include your description text (see above) for each photo. Note you can only upload one photo at a time and photos will not be accepted without the description text.
- click [Send] button
- Please make sure you also upload a completed entry form (see below) after you have uploaded your photo(s) and put “2014 Photo Competition entry form”.