Each year, the Africa Centre, provides artists with the unique opportunity to spend four to six weeks fully dedicated to developing their craft. This year through partnerships with residency programmes in Australia, Brazil, India, Italy, Kenya, Spain, Tanzania and the United States we are proud to offer thirteen unique residencies for its 2015 AIR programme.
- Bundanon Trust – Australia
- The Fountainhead Residency – USA
- Jiwar Creation & Society – Spain
- Khoj- India
- Kuona Trust – Kenya
- Nafasi Arts Space – Tanzania
- Rockefeller Foundation Bellagio Center – Italy
- Sacatar – Brazil
The Artists In Residency (AIR) Programme is seeking applications from high caliber African artists who are provocative, innovative, socially engaged and stretching the boundaries of their artistic practice.
The AIR partners select an artist from a short list provided by the Africa Centre, for one of their 2015 or 2016 residencies. The costs of the residency and round-trip airfare are included in each residency award made.
The residencies are available to artists in different stages of their career development (from emerging to late career) across all disciplines: visual arts, performing arts; creative & literary arts; film; music & curatorial practice. Each residency offers a distinct structure, set of requirements and duration
- Applicants are shortlisted by a panel of AIR staff, strategic partners and seasoned art practitioners (curators, collectors, and art critics) who form part of the extensive Africa Centre network.
- Artists will be shortlisted based on the quality of their work/portfolio, written narrative (i.e the ability to adequately process and respond to the application questions) as well as their previous experience and history of developing artistic work that advances social change and transformation in their communities