Application Deadline: 16 January 2015
The Beahrs Environmental Leadership Program (ELP) of the College of Natural Resources at the University of California, Berkeley provides state-of-the-art training in environmental and natural resource science, policy, and leadership to strengthen the capacities of environmental practitioners worldwide.
Participants will benefit from a unique opportunity to interact with Berkeley faculty as well as their global peers to access new information and tools, share practical experiences, and develop collaborative leadership skills. The Beahrs ELP has graduated
500 environmental leaders from over one hundred countries.
The 3-week certificate course on Sustainable Environmental Management offers a series of interdisciplinary workshops, facilitated by UC Berkeley faculty and non- academic experts from the greater San Francisco Bay Area. Training methods include lectures, thematic groups, role play simulations, debates, participant case studies, panels and presentations. The curriculum is enhanced by field trips that showcase California’s groundbreaking responses to diverse agricultural, natural resource, and urban environmental challenges.
Participants and Requirements
ELP training at UC Berkeley will benefit practitioners who are leading efforts to bridge conservation and poverty reduction. Participants include:
- leaders working on sustainable agriculture and food systems, natural resource management, environmental policy, climate change and community-based development;
- environmental professionals innovating through cross-sectoral collaboration; and
- men and women seeking exposure to interdisciplinary perspectives from UC Berkeley faculty and global peers.
- Proficiency in English to allow full participation in course discussions;
- A resumé that demonstrates strong professional experience and leadership potential;
- Affiliation with an institution concerned with environmental management/sustainable development.
who should Attend?
- Beahrs ELP participants are mid-career development and environmental practitioners who are challenged to solve complex cross-sectoral environmental problems from a wide range of disciplinary, geographic, and organizational backgrounds including nonprofit and community-based organizations, applied research and education institutions, government, international agencies, and the business sector
- UC Berkeley certificate in Sustainable Environmental Management.
- Enhanced capacity to develop and apply solutions that balance environmental, economic, and social equity objectives.
- Strengthened skills for communicating ideas, managing conflict, facilitating multi-stakeholder processes, and leading social change.
- Lifetime membership in the global Berkeley ELP Alumni Network, eligibility to apply for small grants, and a continuing learning relationship with the University of California
For More Information: