Application Deadline: November 2, 2015.
The African Humanities Program (AHP) seeks to reinvigorate the humanities in Africa through fellowship competitions and related activities in Ghana, Nigeria, South Africa, Tanzania, and Uganda.
In partnership with the Carnegie Corporation of New York, which has generously provided funding, AHP offers African scholars an integrated set of opportunities to develop individual capacities and to promote formation of scholarly networks. The African Humanities Program supports the Carnegie Corporation’s efforts to develop and retain African academics at universities in Africa.
- Dissertation-completion fellowships in Ghana, Nigeria, Tanzania, and Uganda
- Early-career postdoctoral fellowships in Ghana, Nigeria, Tanzania,Uganda,and South Africa
- Applicants must be nationals and residents of a country in sub-Saharan Africa, with a current affiliation at an institution in Ghana, Nigeria, South Africa, Tanzania, or Uganda.
- Funding is available for dissertation completion and for postdoctoral research and writing.
- Applicants for Dissertation-Completion Fellowships should be in the final year of writing the dissertation at a university in Ghana, Nigeria, Tanzania, or Uganda.
- Dissertation-Completion Fellowships are not available in South Africa.
- Applicants for Early Career Postdoctoral Fellowships must be working in Ghana, Nigeria, South Africa, Tanzania, or Uganda and must have completed the PhD no more than eight years ago.
- Projects must be in the humanities and must be carried out in sub-Saharan Africa. AHP fellowships may not be used for travel outside the continent.
Stipends are $10,000 for dissertation-completion Fellows and $17,000 for postdoctoralFellows, plus an additional $1,000 per Fellow for books and media at both award levels. Fellowships release recipients from teaching and other duties for an academic year to permit full-time research and writing.
- Fellowship stipends allow recipients an academic year free from teaching and other duties for completion of the PhD dissertation, for revising the dissertation for publication, or for the first major research project after the PhD.
- Fellows are also eligible for additional benefits such as residential stays for writing, manuscript development workshops, and publication support.
- Each Fellow may request a residential stay at an African institute for advanced study. Residencies have proved to be extremely popular and productive, granting Fellows time and space to concentrate on writing.
- Application Form
- Recommendation Letter Form
- Applications must be submitted by email to email@example.com.
- Completed applications must be submitted by November 2, 2015.
For More Information: