Application Deadline:October 27, 2014
The Community Solutions Program is a professional development program for the best and brightest global community leaders working in Transparency and Accountability; Tolerance and Conflict Resolution; Environmental Issues; and, Women and Gender Issues.
Up to sixty- five eligible individuals will be selected to receive the 2015-2016 Community Solutions Program fell owship and will participate in:
- A Four-month U.S. Fellowship: Leader s are placed in U.S. community-based, non-profit or government offices across the U.S. where they work with American community leaders.
- Community Leadership Institute (CLI): Leader s will develop practical leadership and organizational management skills through online and in-person training.
- Follow-on Projects: Leaders, in partnership with their U.S. host organizations, will develop follow-on community development projects or initiatives to be completed upon return to their home countries
- J-1 visa support;
- Round-trip travel from participant’s home city to the U.S.;
- Accident and sickness insurance; and,
- Living allowance to cover housing, meals and incidentals
- Is from a participating country (U.S. citizens, permanent residents of the U.S. , and individuals who have applied for U.S. permanent resid ency in the past three years are not eligible for this program);
- Is currently living and working in his/her home country (Individuals participating in academic, training or research programs in the United States at the time of application and individuals residing or working outside their home countries at the time of application are not eligible for this program);
- Is currently working on a community project or initiative in his/her home country; and, has at least two years of community development experience at the time of application;
- Is able to begin the program in the United States in 2015, and is committed to returning to his/her home country for a period of two years after completion of the program
- Is able to receive a U.S. J-1 visa (Individuals who have participated in an exchange visitor program sponsored or funded by the U.S. Government who have not fulfilled their two- year home residency requirement by the time of application are not eligible for this program); and,
- Is proficient in spoken and written English at the time of application
Africa: Democratic Republic of Congo, Ghana, Guinea, Kenya, Liberia, Malawi, Mozambique, Rwanda, Sierra Leone, South Sudan, Sudan, Tanzania, Uganda, Zambia, and Zimbabwe
East Asia and the Pacific: Burma, Cambodia, Indonesia, Laos, Malaysia, Mongolia, Papua New Guinea, Philippines, Singapore, Thailand, Vietnam
Europe: Albania, Bulgaria, Czech Republic, Hungary, Macedonia, Romania, Slovakia, Turkey
South and Central Asia: Bangladesh, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Maldives, Nepal, Sri Lanka, Tajikistan, Turkmenistan, Uzbekistan
Near East & North Africa: Egypt, Israel, Jordan, Lebanon, Libya, Morocco, Syria, Tunisia and West Bank/Gaza
Western Hemisphere: Bolivia, Brazil, Colombia, Costa Rica, Dominican Republic, El Salvador, Haiti, Paraguay, Peru, Trinidad and Tobago