Application Deadline: March 31, 2018, at midnight GMT.
The Koffi Addo Writivism Prize for Creative Non-Fiction is an annual award for creative non-fiction by emerging African writers administered by the Center for African Cultural Excellence (CACE) and sponsored by the Koffi Addo family.
- The winner of the prize will be awarded $500 (USD) cash and may be considered for a one-month writing residency at a university in an African country.
- The winner will be required to produce a complete first draft of a publishable creative nonfiction manuscript before the residency.
- The winner, on taking up the residency commits to publishing the manuscript edited through the residency, under the Writivism Series with a CACE partner publisher.
- Entrants must be unpublished writers (unpublished here means those who have not had a book published), resident in an African country. Questions of eligibility shall be resolved by the CACE administration and their decision is final.
- Entries must be submitted online, by emailing them to info@ as attachments (not in the body of the email), clearly labelled in the subject: 2018 Koffi Addo Prize
- The writer must include in the body of the email, other information about him/her i.e country of residence, age, legal name and pen name (where applicable) and telephone contact.
- Only one entry per writer may be submitted for the Koffi Addo Writivism Prize for Creative Nonfiction. The story must be original and previously unpublished in any form (including on the writer’s personal blog).
- All entries will be checked automatically for plagiarism using electronic software. Entries found to be plagiarized will be disqualified without notification to the writer.
- All entries must be in English, and 2,500 – 3,500 words long.
- Entries should be attached in Microsoft Word or Rich Text formats, with the title of the story as the file name. The first page of the story should include the title of the story and the number of words.
- The entry must be typed in Times New Roman 12 point font and 1.5 line spacing. No mention should be made on the identity of the writer in the entry.
- Entrants agree as a condition of entry that CACE may publicize the fact that a story has been entered or shortlisted for the Prize. Worldwide copyright of each story remains with the writer. CACE will have the unrestricted right to publish and translate the short-listed stories in an anthology and elsewhere.
- The writer shall not publish the shortlisted story elsewhere, until ten years from the first date of the original publication by CACE.
- Longlisted writers will edit their stories with a commissioned editor prior to publication in the annual anthology. Failure to cooperate with the editorial team will lead to exclusion of the story from the anthology.
- Shortlisted writers may be invited to attend the annual Writivism Festival in Kampala, Uganda, in August 2018.
For More Information: