Application Deadline:Sunday, 2 December 2018 at 11:59 p.m. EST.
The Michael Elliott Award for Excellence in African Storytelling, a collaboration between the International Center for Journalists (ICFJ), ONE, and the Elliott family, honors an up-and-coming journalist in Africa who strives to strengthen people’s voices and improve their well-being.
This prestigious award recognises an up-and-coming journalist in Africa who tells important stories through quality reporting. The award, created in 2017, honours the life and career of ONE’s former CEO, Michael Elliott.
For the third year, the International Center for Journalists (ICFJ) in collaboration with ONE and the Elliott family is accepting entries for the 2019 Michael Elliott Award for Excellence in African Storytelling.
- The contest is open to English-speaking journalists working in Africa for print, broadcast and online news media. Applicants must have no more than 10 years of journalism experience.
- Applicants must submit one published story that reflects top-notch storytelling about an important issue. The submission can be a feature story; an in-depth, investigative or explanatory piece; or a multimedia report or documentary.
- A copy of the published story or broadcast clip must be submitted in English. Works in other languages must include English translations.
A distinguished international jury selects the winner.
- This award will provide the winner with a US$5,000 cash prize to pursue an in-depth reporting project.
- In a special study tour organized by ICFJ, the winner will spend time in U.S. newsrooms to learn new skills and share knowledge. The winner will also complete a two-week internship at the headquarters of The Economist in London.
Apply Now for the Michael Elliott Award for Excellence in African Storytelling
For More Information:
Visit the Official Webpage of the 2019 ICFJ/ONE Michael Elliott Award for Excellence in African Storytelling