Application Deadline: May 8, 2019.
The WE Empower Challenge is a global business competition for women entrepreneurs who are advancing the UN Sustainable Development Goals and inspiring entire communities to create the world we want by 2030.
To be eligible to enter this competition, applicants must meet all of the following criteria. Finalists will be required to provide evidence of sales (i.e. tax returns and/or audited financial records).
- I am woman entrepreneur with lead decision making ability in a business
- My business has been in operation for more than three years
- I employ at least three full time staff (or full time equivalent)
- My business generates at least $100,000 USD in annual sales
- I am proficient in spoken and written English
- I am at least 21 years old
- I am available to travel to NYC between Monday 22 September 2019 – Sunday 29 September 2019
Applicants will be assessed based on a variety of factors, including the following considerations.
- Ability to commit to the entire week of in-person program – no exceptions
- Willingness to help shape the community dialogue about women’s advancement and the SDG’s in their region, and wield the influence necessary to do so.
- Must be able to secure a US visa.
Applicants with more than one business or organization, please complete the application regarding the business/organization THAT YOU WOULD LIKE TO FOCUS ON during this Global Challenge opportunity, if you are selected to participate in the program.
What to Expect
Applicants must answer basic identifying information about themselves, their business, and their primary country of business. -Applicants must identify which United Nations Regional Block they are located in.
The application requires answers about how your work relates to the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals and your vision for a sustainable future.
The application asks you how you will help foster gender equality through your work.
Applicants will be asked to answer several security questions, provide social media profile information (if applicable), and agree to the terms and conditions within the contest entry form.
Finally, applicants must submit a two-minute video using the following guidelines.
Please submit a short video of yourself (maximum of two minutes) providing the information and answering the questions listed below, in English. A video submission is a required part of the competition.
In designing your response, please remember that less attention is paid to the quality of your video and more attention is given to the quality of your response. It is acceptable,if you wish, to make your short video using a smartphone.
What to answer in your video
- State your full name (first name and family name)
- State the name of your organization and your job title
- State the name of the country your business is located
- What is the mission of your organization?
- What do you hope to achieve if you are selected to participate as a finalist in this competition?
- What is the impact of your activities on the UN SDGs?
How to submit your video
- Video attachments may be hosted on a video site such as YouTube or Vimeo
- You may also upload a video file within the application platform
- File size should not exceed 20 MB
- Preferred file types are .MP4, .MOV, and .WMV
- Please do not upload any further written material with your video, as the judges will not consider these. The written component of your entry should be fully explained within the provided form fields.
How to Apply:
- Register an account and apply today!
- Complete your application (you may save your progress)
- Attach your 2-minute video
- Submit your entry
Applicants are required to complete and submit an online application, which includes a two-minute video. The online application process may take up to one hour to complete.
Any incomplete applications, or any applications received after May 8, 2019 will not be considered. Applications submitted without the two-minute video will not be considered
For More Information: