Application Deadline: December 1st 2014
African Leadership Unleashed was founded by Fred Swaniker, a world-renowned champion for Africa’s youth. Building on his success in launching African Leadership Academy, he was inspired to launch African Leadership Unleashed as a way to bring the most innovative tertiary education in the world to Africa, and in so doing, help unleash Africa’s true potential as a continent.
African Leadership Unleashed is not a traditional university. Universities should give students the critical skills necessary for making a living and to make a life. Instead, hundreds of thousands of university graduates on the continent are unemployed. ALU provides the skills and the leadership experience necessary to succeed in any career or to create your own career as an entrepreneur.
Over the next 10 years, ALU will open 25 campuses in major cities across Africa. Our first campus, which opens in September 2015, is on the beautiful island of Mauritius.
ALU is a brand new network of 25 tertiary institutions that will have 10,000 students each, located next to major cities in Africa. Over a 50-year period, these 25 campuses will create millions of the world’s best-educated tertiary graduates in Africa. The first campus will be on the beautiful island of Mauritius, and will include ALA graduates in its first cohort.
Like ALA graduates, ALU students will receive placements in top organizations in Africa and around the world. For its first class of students, 100% will be eligible for full sponsorship from ALU’s corporate partners, meaning their world-class education will be free.
ALU is not traditional university and so we are not looking for traditional students.
- ALU is looking for young people who are willing to step out of the status quo into something far more transformational.
- Students who apply to ALU must be dynamic and open to new experiences. They must be thrilled at the prospect of learning in an innovative way.
- Applications are welcome from young people around the world who are passionate about the African continent and who are excited about ALU’s learning philosophy.
looking for young Africans with:
ALU’s curriculum is unique, yet rigorous. ALU’s focus on developing critical skills requires that students have a curious and inquiring mind and are willing to work hard to improve and grow.
We are looking for young people who are passionate about making a difference and have already taken steps to transform their communities.
Passion for change
Are you really passionate about something? Do you have a dream for your future and that of the African continent? We are looking for young people who are driven by their passion and are motivated to do whatever it takes to achieve their goals.
Ability to work with others
Are you able to work well with others? Are you collaborative, interested in learning from your peers, and open to different ideas?
ALU students are self-aware. Do you have a clear sense of your strengths and weaknesses? Do you understand how your actions affect the people around you?
How to Apply:
Follow these steps to apply:
- Step 1: Make sure you have read the ALU website comprehensively and you understand what kinds of students we are looking for.
- Step 2: Complete the online application form. The form will include short questions about your leadership activities, passions and aspirations. You will also be required to submit your most recent academic reports.
- Step 3: Identify 2 teachers and 3 peers who know you well and can provide us with some valuable insights into your learning ability, leadership potential and other important characteristics.
- Step 4: Submit your application form through the online application portal. We will notify you when we have received your application and confirm if all of your documentation is in order.
- Step 5: Once we have reviewed your application there are 3 possible next steps based on the decision:
Application successful: students who meet all requirements will be offered immediate admission.
Application pending: students whose applications are pending will be required to complete a batch of assessments at an Assessment Centre in their city.
Thereafter, students will hear whether their application was successful or unsuccessful.
Application unsuccessful: students who do not meet the requirements will be notified that their application was unsuccessful.
For More Information: