Application Deadline: Sunday, March 30th, 2018.
The Comparative Democratization Section of the American Political Science Association (APSA) is pleased to announce a Call for Applications from early-career scholars based in lower and middle-income countries who are interested in attending the 2018 APSA Annual Meeting as part of a Research Development Group.
Organized via the Comparative Democratization section, the Research Development Group will be a unique opportunity to advance current research towards publication, participate in the APSA annual meeting, and develop scholarly networks with colleagues.
The 2018 APSA Annual Meeting will take place in Boston, MA (USA) from August 30 to September 2, 2018. Prior to the start of the annual meeting (on August 29), group participants will attend a 1-day seminar to discuss and receive critical feedback on an article-length manuscript in progress.
Papers will be circulated in advance of the seminar to allow time for thorough reading by all participants and facilitators. In addition to focused discussions on each paper, the seminar will address strategies and advice for publishing in peer-reviewed international journals. Over the next several days, participants will be expected to attend panels of interest and enjoy the Annual Meeting program. Comparative Democratization Section officers and facilitators will assist participants in developing personalized schedules to promote linkages with different organized sections, related groups, and other scholars.
- Applicants must be working on an article-length research project that is at a stage of development which would benefit from intense discussion and critique.
- All research on Comparative Democratization within political science research will be considered, including studies of authoritarian regimes and all forms of regime transition.
- The manuscript should be intended for publication in a peer-reviewed academic journal (drafts which are intended for dissertation chapters or white papers will not be accepted).
- Research should not be part of a co-authored project, nor should it be an excerpt from an already completed work.
- Participation in the Research Development Group is open to early-career scholars who currently lack the institutional support to attend the APSA annual meeting (those whose primary institutional affiliation is in the US, Canada, or Europe are not eligible for this program).
- Up to six applicants will be selected. Participants will eligible to apply for an APSA Travel Grant of up to $1,000 to support travel and accommodation expenses.
Applications must be in English and include:
- The completed online Application Form: https://compdemapsa.wufoo.com/forms/mzlokwz0ca0llp/
- A detailed, recent Curriculum Vitae/resume (via email to [email protected]).
- The 5,000-8,000 word (including abstract, not including references) research manuscript that will be brought to the seminar for discussion. (via email).
- A list of 3-5 scholars you would like to have discuss your paper
The extended deadline to submit an application for the Research Development Group is Sunday, March 30th, 2018. Selected applicants will be notified of their invitation the following week. Subsequently, the deadline to apply for a Travel Grant will be in April.
Program information and a web link to the online Application Form can be found at: https://compdemapsa.wufoo.com/forms/mzlokwz0ca0llp/
For More Information: