Application Deadline: ongoing
FameLab is an annual science communication competition that runs in many countries worldwide. Wherever you are in the world, the competition remains the same. You have just three minutes to present a concept from your field of study to a panel of judges. Make it funny, make it enlightening and make it jaw-dropping. The judges are looking for somebody who can shine in content, clarity and charisma – all within the three-minute allowance.
We want to find the science communication stars of tomorrow, who can really show off their area of expertise in a fascinating and engaging way.
The national champion from each participating country will receive an invitation to the Cheltenham Science Festival in the UK. There they will join an exclusive two-day masterclass led by expert UK trainers. They also get the chance to compete for the title of FameLab International Champion 2019.
- You must be 21 years old or older and working in or studying science, technology, engineering, medicine or maths.
- Lecturers in science, mathematics or engineering subjects, including specialist science teachers with a science degree.
- Researchers who use existing research or meta-studies – they don’t have to be getting their hands dirty
- People who work on applying science, technology or mathematics – for example, patent clerks, statisticians, computer technicians, consultants to industry…
- Postgraduate students of science, mathematics or engineering (over 21)
- People who apply science, mathematics or engineering in the armed forces or government bodies
- People who apply science, engineering or mathematics in industry or business
- You have only three minutes for your talk.
- Your talk must be on a science, technology, engineering, medicine or maths-based topic.
- You may not use PowerPoint or other similar presentation software.
- Props are limited to what you can carry on stage (and there is no time for set-up).
- Your talk is a solo performance. You are not permitted to carry other people onto the stage to assist you in your talk.
- If you make it through your local heats to a regional final in your country you will need a second presentation (which can be on the same topic, but must be demonstrably different in content).
How to enter
- UK – Find out more and enter FameLab 2019 on the Cheltenham Science Festival website . Regional heats in the UK will take place between January 2018 and March 2019.
- Countries around the word (apart from the UK) – Please check the website of your local British Council office to find out if your country takes part in FameLab 2019. A list of participating countries will be published on this website later this year.
For More Information: