Application Deadline: 30th July 2018
The DAAD (German Academic Exchange Service), as a publicly funded, self-governing organisation of the institutions of higher education in Germany, promotes international academic exchange as well as educational co-operation with developing countries through a variety of funding and scholarship programmes.
As part of the „In-Country/In-Region Scholarship Progamme“ DAAD offers scholarships for PhD and Master studies. The programme is funded by the German Federal Ministry of Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ) and aims at university staff in the first line, without neglecting the public sector demand of academically trained personnel.
The target group for scholarships are graduates and postgraduates from Sub-Saharan Africa with a first academic degree if applying for a master’s programme, or with a Master’s degree if applying for a doctoral programme who want to pursue Master’s or PhD courses in their home country (so called In-Country scholarships) or in another Sub-Saharan African country (In-Region scholarships).
It has been agreed upon that DAAD cooperates with Centre d’Etude Régional pour l’Amélioration de l’Adaptation à la Sécheresse (CERAAS) by offering up to 2 In-Region and In-Country scholarships for PhD and up to 3 In-Region and 1 In-Country scholarships for Master studies at CERAAS for the intake 2018.
• have successfully completed generally a three-year university degree (Master candidates) or a two-year university degree (doctoral candidates) with above average results ( second class upper division)
• clearly show motivation and strong commitment
• have thorough knowledge of the language of instruction
• have completed their last university degree not more than 6 years ago at the time of application
• must be nationals or permanent residents of a Sub-Saharan African country
• should generally be a) staff member of a public or private university, b) candidate considered for teaching or research staff recruitment, c) from the public sector or d) DAFI-Alumni (Albert Einstein German Academic Refugee Initiative)
Female applicants and candidates from less privileged regions or groups are especially encouraged to participate in the programme.
The In-Country/ In-Region Scholarship Programme Scholarships supports studies in subject areas with strong relevance to national development. The scholarships at CERAAS are available in the following fields:
• Plant Breeding
• Plant Health
Duration and Commencement
• of the PhD programme is up to three years
• of the Master programme is up to two years starting in December 2018.
The short-term research scholarship includes:
• a monthly scholarship payment for living costs which amounts to 1.000 € per month
• health/accident/personal liability insurance
• a flat-rate travel allowance
Application and Selection Procedure
- First step: Applicants must apply for their studies at CERAAS using the contacts and the method that is prescribed by the institution. CERAAS has set their own deadlines. CERAAS will screen, pre-select (according to DAAD selection criteria) and short-list the applicants.
- A detailed report consisting of the shortlisting procedure, the entire list of applicants, the ranked shortlist and the shortlisting panel members will also be availed to DAAD. The ranked shortlist will contain at least double or triple (optional) the number of scholarships that have been attributed to the institution.
- DAAD reserves the right of final selection.
Second step: Pre-selected candidates are asked to log into the DAAD portal and register
themselves and submit an DAAD application. The institution is requested to communicate the following information to the shortlisted candidates:
1. Register online via the DAAD-Portal (if not already registered): https://portal.daad.de
2. Apply online via the DAAD-Portal under the tab “Personal Funding“/ “Application“ Documents to be submitted:
- DAAD application form duly filled (available in the DAAD-Portal)
- Hand signed curriculum vitae (please use the European specimen form at http://europass.cedefop. Europa.eu), including a list of publications (if applicable).
- Recommendation letter by university lecturers (Master 1, PhD 2)
Programme Officer, Section ST32 Africa
For More Information:
Visit the Official Webpage of the CERAAS/DAAD In-Country/In-Region PhD and Master Scholarships 2018/2019