Application Deadline: November 7th 2017
The Chevening programme grants awards to outstanding individuals with leadership potential from around the world. A Chevening OCIS Fellowship Award offers financial support to individuals who are dedicated to the promotion of academic activities which encourage a more informed understanding of the culture and civilisation of Islam and contemporary Muslim societies to undertake independent study and research at the Oxford Centre for Islamic Studies.
The fellowship starts in October 2018 for a six-month period of independent, self-driven research at OCIS. Fellows will need to develop their own research-project to focus on during their fellowship prior to arriving in the UK.
Applications are invited from individuals from the following countries:
- The Occupied Palestinian Territories
- Sri Lanka
- Turkey (can also apply for Abdullah Gül Fellowship)
To be eligible for a Chevening OCIS Fellowship, you must:
- Demonstrate the potential to rise to a position of leadership and influence.
- Demonstrate the personal, intellectual and interpersonal attributes reflecting this potential.
- Be a citizen of one of the above listed countries, who will return to your home country at the end of the period of fellowship.
- A postgraduate (PG) level qualification (or equivalent professional training or experience in a relevant area) at the time of application;
- Significant professional and/or academic research experience (5+ years);
- Applicants who have previously received financial benefit from an HMG funded scholarship or fellowship are eligible to apply after a period of five years following the completion of their first HMG funded award and are required to demonstrate their career progression from that point;
- Provide evidence of meeting at least the minimum English language abilities for Chevening Awards
- Not hold dual nationality where one nationality is British (other than for nationals exempt from this requirement listed in the Chevening Guidance for Applicants).
- Not be employees, employees’ relatives (or former employees who have left employment less than two years before) of Her Majesty’s Government including the FCO (including FCO posts), the British Council, DFID, MOD, BIS, UKTI and UKBA, the Association of Commonwealth Universities or OCIS or any of their wholly-owned subsidiaries.
The Chevening OCIS Fellowship includes:
6 month period of research at OCIS
Monthly stipend for living expenses for the duration of the Fellowship
Return economy airfare from their home country to the UK
Allowance package for study related activities
How to apply
Applications for Chevening Fellowships can be submitted using the Chevening online application system, available through the ‘apply’ button on this page.
Prior to starting your application for a Chevening Fellowship please ensure you have the following ready:
- Two references to be provided in a letter format and written in English
- Valid passport/national ID card
- University transcripts (undergraduate, postgraduate)
Please note that only documents in PDF format can be uploaded and documents cannot be over 5MB in size.
- English language (if already met the requirements)
You can submit your initial application without the optional document and upload them to your application at a later date.
For More Information: