Application Deadline: June 21st 2015
Are you a young photographer passionate about nature and people?
Forests and trees are important to the well-being and livelihoods of people everywhere, especially in rural areas. Hundreds of millions of people rely on forests for food, energy and shelter. They have tremendous potential to contribute to sustainable development and to a greener economy.
Enter the Forests and People photo contest to help raise awareness about the importance of forests for people today and for generations to come, and you could win a trip to the Congress!
About The XIV World Forestry Congress
Where: Inkosi Albert Luthuli International Convention Centre
When: 7-11 September 2015, Durban, South Africa
The XIV World Forestry Congress, hosted by the Republic of South Africa, will bring together the global forestry community to review and analyse the key issues and to share ways of addressing them.
The Congress – the first to be held in Africa – is inclusive of people from all countries, regions and sectors, whether they belong to a government organization, NGO, private company, scientific or professional body, a forestry society, or simply have a personal interest in attending.
All photo entries should feature both forests (or forest products) and people.
- Entrants should be 18 or above and must have taken the photograph themselves.
- The photographs should not have been taken before 1 January 2013.
- Photographs should not have dates or text on top of the image.
- Each participant can send up to three photographs.
- All photographs should be in jpeg format.
- Participants must fill out a form indicating:
- Name, surname, date of birth, email, title and description of photograph, location and date when photo was taken.
- Participants must also accept the legal conditions described in the form.
File size: Minimum pixel width 1754 pixels at 150 ppi; maximum file size 5 MB.
Image data files should be created with digital smartphones and still cameras (including medium and large-format cameras).
Images that have been retouched using software or by other means will be accepted. Both colour and monochrome images will be accepted. (Scans of photographs taken by film cameras are not eligible.)
The standard colour space for the judging process is sRGB.
- The prize for the winner will be a trip to the Congress (travel, accommodation and registration fee), as well as a portfolio review by Stuart Franklin.
- The winning photograph and 15 runners-up will also feature in a XIV World Forestry Congress calendar.
- Award-winning Magnum photographer Stuart Franklin will lead the jury. Franklin is perhaps best known for his celebrated photograph of a man defying a tank in Tiananmen Square, China, in 1989, as well as his photographic essay The Time of Trees, which examines the social relationship between nature and society.
For More Information: