Application Deadline: October 31st 2020
The German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD), the German Rectors’ Conference (HRK), the Osnabrück University of Applied Sciences and the Centre for Higher Education (CHE) are jointly organising the DIES International Deans’ Course for Africa.
This intensive training course is part of the DIES programme (Dialogue on Innovative Higher Education Strategies) which is coordinated by DAAD and HRK and which aims at strengthening higher education management structures in developing countries.
Due to the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic situation and the worldwide travel restrictions preventing reliable planning the programme committee developed a format which ensures the continuation of the programme, and at the same time maintains the training quality. Therefore, based on the assumption that travel restrictions will seriously affect international travel and participation in international conferences in 2021, the first phase is planned to be held online instead of a regular meeting in Germany. Although, the programme’s new design foresees a use of predominantly virtual elements and of video based activities the organisers are ready to alter the mode of delivery from online to on-site once this should appear possible:
Part I: ten days online seminar from June 21st to July 2nd, 2021
Part II: five days “hybrid” seminar from October 25th to 29th, 2021 in the regions
Part III: ten days seminar from January 31st to February 11th, 2022
The key objective of the course is to bring together a group of about 30 newly elected deans, vice-deans and heads of departments from universities in the African Region and to prepare them for the challenges of holding a dean’s position in a changing higher education landscape. Issues such as strategic faculty management, financial management, quality assurance and leadership will be key parts of this course. A soft skills training and exchange with German university leaders about higher education reforms will be included as well.
- Up to 30 participants will be selected.
- Participants should be deans, vice-deans aiming at taking over a dean’s position in the future or heads of department. In case that applicants come from specialised, decentralised universities (e.g. University of Natural Sciences, Regional Colleges) applications from newly appointed VicePresidents/ -Rectors are also highly welcomed. Participants should be preferably between 40 and
50 years old (+/- 2 years is tolerable).
- Eligible countries are: Ethiopia, Ghana, Kenya, Nigeria, Sudan, Tanzania and Uganda
- Fluency in English is required and mandatory in order to be admitted to the course. In case of applicants from non-Anglophone countries: Proof of excellent English proficiency (e.g. TOEFL; Cambridge Certificate) will be an asset. In individual cases phone interviews will be organised with short listed candidates to guarantee the requested proficiency.
- A gender balance and a good national mix is aimed at, given that qualifications and other criteria are fulfilled.
International travel costs, board and lodging as well as the substantial part of the tuition fee will be covered by funds from the German Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ). The participants’ home universities are expected to contribute to the costs by paying a fee of 200 Euro (less than 10 % of the overall individual costs) for the completion of the three parts of the course.
Application Requirements and Process
The application includes:
- application form (incl. curriculum vitae)
- letter of motivation (incl. draft of the PAP)
- organisational chart of the university (showing the section where the candidates are working in)
- letter of support from the university leadership indicating that the applicant will receive financial support from his/her university
- one additional letter of recommendation e.g. of a DAAD alumni will be appreciated.
Please, send your application via e-mail until October 31st, 2020 to the Osnabrück University of
Applied Sciences: Ms Freya Gallenkamp, [email protected]
All applicants will be informed on the results of the selection process in February 2021
For More Information: