Application Deadline: May 15th 2018
The GERSS scholarships offer young Egyptian scientists and academics the opportunity to travel to Germany. The scholarship shall enable advanced graduate students and young scientists to pursue part of their master’s, doctoral or post-doctoral research in a specific research project at German universities, archives, libraries or research institutes.
- The programme is aimed at Master’s students, doctoral candidates and young postdocs.
The application is also open to non-public university staff members; however, all GERSS applicants should be affiliated to a private or public Egyptian university or Egyptian research institute.
- Scholarships are not awarded for general-information gathering, visits or for the participation in scientific meetings.
- Applicants must be enrolled at a private or state university or research institute in Egypt.
- Applicants for a GERSS scholarship must have a Bachelor, Master or PhD degree.
- Age Limits
– Graduates: should not be older than 26 years
– Medicine / Dentistry Graduates: should not be older than 29 years
– PhD candidates: should not exceed 36 years
– Post doc candidates should not be older than 40 years
- Generally, candidates residing outside Egypt for a period longer than 6 months are not allowed to apply for GERSS
- Candidates who have been granted the GERLS scholarship may apply for GERSS – at least – one year after returning from Germany
- Applicants who have been rejected 3 times in the GERSS programme, are not entitled to reapply
This programme funds research visits to a research institute, a state or state-recognised private university in Germany.
Duration of the funding
The scholarships are awarded for a period of 3-6 months.
Scholarship periods are not extendable.
Travel allowance for scholarship holders:
- A lump sum will be paid for travel and an accident and liability insurance will be provided
Monthly scholarship payment according to academic status:
- Post-Doctoral scholarship holders will be granted an amount of Euro 2.145 (two thousand one hundred forty-five Euros) per month
- Doctoral and MSc scholarship holders will be granted an amount of Euro 1069 (one thousand and sixty-nine Euros) per month
- GERSS scholarship does not include family allowances
- The amounts for the DAAD health insurance will be deducted from the monthly stipend of each scholarship holder
- One additional insurance installment will be added and will begin 15 days prior to the arrival to Germany and end 15 days after the scheduled departure date to Egypt
Selection will take place at the DAAD-Branch Office Cairo.
The candidates will be selected in two rounds. First, a pre-selection is a paper-based procedure which will identify the group of applicants who will be invited for the second phase consisting of a personal interview with the GERSS independent selection committee. Pre- and final selection of the candidates should be conducted according to, but not limited to the following criteria:
- Excellent Research proposal
- Scientific merits, including:
– Quality of the proposal
– Preparation and feasibility of the project
– Quality of the acceptance letter
- Excellent study achievement
Application documents from the public university/research institute staff members
A complete application consists of the following documents (13 items) that must be uploaded on the DAAD Portal:
- The online application form which is available on the DAAD Portal
(When you enter your desired travel date in the online application, please make sure that your first travel day either starts on the 1st day of the month or on the 15th day of the months)
- A research proposal including the reference list. Please refer to the document “Research Proposal”, which contains questions to be answered concerning your proposal and insert the reference list on the last page
- A detailed CV
- Complete list of publications, if available
- Acceptance letter or an email from a German host professor showing that the research project under preparation is feasible and can be conducted in Germany under his supervision. The acceptance letter should state the title, the time frame and the objectives of the project. The acceptance letter should not be older than six months
- Copies of the B.A. or B.Sc. certificate and the M.A. or M.Sc. and PhD certificate, if applicable
- All applicants have to submit proof of English language skills/abilities. The proof should be either IELTS (band 6) certificate or institutional TOEFL ITP (minimum score 550) or international TOEFL IBT (minimum score 80). Sufficient proof of English skills is an eligibility criterion
For More Information: