The DAAD supports over 100,000 German and international students und researchers around the globe each year – making it the world’s largest funding organization of its kind.
As part of the ‘In-Country/In-Region Scholarship Programme“ DAAD offers scholarships for PhD and Master studies The programme is funded by the German Federal Ministry of Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ) and aims at university staff in the first line, without neglecting the public sector demand of academically trained personnel.
The target group for scholarships are graduates and postgraduates from Sub-Sahara Africa
with a first academic degree if applying for a Master’s programme, or with a Master’s degree if applying for a doctoral programme who want to pursue Master’s or PhD courses in their home country (so called In-Country scholarships ) or in another Eastern Africa country ( so called In-Region scholarships).
It has been agreed upon that DAAD cooperates with Addis Ababa University by offering up to 27 In-Country/In-Region scholarships for PhD and Master studies (5 PhDs in Management, 4 PhDs and 4 Masters in Microbial/Molecular Biology 6 PhDs and 4 Masters in Earth Sciences, 4 PhD in Peace and Security Studies) for the intake 2018.
• have successfully completed generally a three-year university degree (Master candidates) or a two- year university degree (doctoral candidates) with above average results (upper forth of class)
• clearly show motivation and strong commitment
• have thorough knowledge of the language of instruction
• have completed their last university degree not more than 6 years ago at the time of application
• must be nationals or permanent resident of Sub-Sahara Africa
• should generally be
a) staff member of a public university,
b) candidate considered for teaching or research staff recruitment,
c) from the public sector
d) DAFI-Alumni (Albert Einstein German Academic Refugee Initiative)
The In-Country/ In-Region Scholarship Programme supports studies in subject areas with strong relevance to national development. The scholarships at Addis Ababa University are available in the following fields:
• Microbial and Molecular Biology
• Earth Sciences
• Peace and Security Studies
• of the PhD programme is generally three years
• of the Master programme is generally two years generally starting in September 2018
Application requirements: Applicants must provide the following criteria to be eligible for the scholarships:
A signed curriculum vitae
A recommendation letter from university lecturer
Letter of admission from AAU
Certified copies of university degree certificates (including transcript)s
Letter of motivation
Detailed and precise PhD proposal, including detailed work and timetable (if applicable: mention the planned research stay in Germany)
Abstract of the proposal on one page (please include name and title of proposal)
Special considerations are applicable to female applicants and candidates from less privileged regions.
Application procedure and deadline: The required documents should be sent to Dr. Fana Gebresenbet ([email protected]) no later than 23 February 2018.