Application Deadline: 31 August 2016
As part of the “In-Country Scholarship Programme”, in which more than two dozen African universities and university networks participate and which annually supports some 1000 African postgraduates, the German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD) in partnership with the National Research Foundation (NRF) is able to offer scholarships for postgraduate studies at South African universities.
The programme is co-funded by the German Federal Ministry of Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ) and the NRF. The scholarship is aimed at future academic staff development without neglecting other sector demands for academically trained personnel. The NRF lauds this contribution of the German government as being of invaluable support to its own efforts of significantly increasing the number of post-graduate candidates receiving quality education & training; of contributing significantly to our national efforts of human capital development, especially at our tertiary institutions but also for the public and private sectors; and of tangibly engaging in the South African PhD Project and, thereby, fulfilling one of the key strategic objectives of the NRF VISION 2020.
- DAAD and NRF offer up to 120 new scholarships for Master’s and Doctoral studies in 2017.
- The programme addresses young and rising candidates who aim at acquiring a master’s or doctoral degree. Preference will be given to full-time registered young South Africans and permanent residents.
- University staff-members studying towards a doctoral qualification will also be considered.
- Staff members should be enrolled for full-time studies and be exempted from teaching. In exceptional cases, a limited extent of teaching obligations may be accepted but has to be motivated in writing.
- The host institution has to document precisely and convincingly the quantity and content of the lecturing duties and their compliance with the prevailing goal of the academic qualification of the candidate.
- An intrinsic link between the teaching obligations and the content of the degree programme is indispensable.
- QUERIESFor any further assistance and information around the DAAD/NRF In-Country Scholarship programme, please contact your institutions financial aid / bursary / postgraduate office, or the DAAD or the NRF through Teuns Phahlamohlaka on Tel: +27 12 481 4385 / Email: [email protected] or Melissa Govender on Tel +27 12 481 4311 / Email: [email protected].
For More Information: