Application Deadline: July 22nd 2019
The Global Alliance for Partnerships on Media and Information Literacy (GAPMIL) Youth Committee with support of UNESCO and SIDA is calling for Youth Ambassadors as part of its strategies to operationalize the Youth Committee globally. The Youth Ambassadors represent the GAPMIL Youth Committee; they are champions of Media and Information Literacy (MIL) from all regions of the world with a mandate to advance the global MIL agenda.
Youth Ambassadors act in the interest of the GAPMIL Youth Committee and coordinate activities in their regions as well at the national and international level. The GAPMIL Youth Ambassadors are established according to UNESCO’s regional structure (Africa, Arab States, Asia Pacific, Europe and North America, Latin America and the Caribbean).
Criteria for selection of Youth Ambassadors
- Demonstrate a strong desire to help promote information, media and technology competencies and create innovative ways of engaging young people in realisation of MIL initiatives.
- Be passionate about empowering of citizens with knowledge and skills to be able to critically interact with information and media.
- Must possess talent in diverse fields in arts, sciences, literature, entertainment, sport or fields of public life to be able to contribute to the achievements of GAPMIL goals
- Must be conversant with the goals and activities of GAPMIL and possess willingness to connect, collaborate, exchange and broaden the work of GAPMIL.
- Demonstrate a sense of responsibility and leadership qualities to initiate, coordinate and implement activities related to development of media and information literacy.
- Demonstrate the commitment and proven potential to reach out to citizens especially youth and children.
- Possess the personality and dignity required to advocate for MIL globally, demonstrate personal influence in their communities in relation to MIL and skills for inclusive and innovative leadership.
- Must be affiliated to an organization or youth organization like NGOs, print/broadcasting unions/ associations and journalists’ associations, public and private institutions or similar others.
- Demonstrate awareness of MIL development and related issues in their communities/regions and globally.
- Willingness to actively advocate for MIL enhancement on local and global level and to take action.
- Ability to work in cooperation with other Youth Ambassadors within a larger global network and with GAPMIL Youth Committee.
- Have read the MIL CLICKS PACT here https://en.unesco.org/MILCLICKS and signed to commit to it here https://en.unesco.org/feedback/commitment-be-mil-clicker
Eligibility for Selection of GAPMIL Youth Ambassador
- Applicants must be between the ages of 16 – 30.
- Applicants must be able to communicate in English language.
- Applicants must be referred by at least two persons or organizations in order to demonstrate competency and commitment to lead an international process.
- In selection of members, the Selection Committee comprised of GAPMIL Youth Committee members, will balance cultural and geographical representation globally, and will look for diversity in member’s background in terms of NGOs, print/broadcasting unions/ associations and journalists’ associations public and private institutions.
- Membership of Youth Ambassadors must be gender-balanced, having 50 % of female and 50% male members.
- Youth Ambassadors will be selected for a fixed period of time which will be a duration of service of two years. This could be renewed based on commitment and performance.
- Selection Committee will select 12 Youth Ambassadors
For More Information: