Application Deadline: September 30, 2022
Applications are now open for the German Bundestag (ISP) International Parliamentary Scholarships Programme for applicants from selected Southern African States.
The IPS Programme for African Countries is intended for highly qualified young people from the countries of
South Africa, Botswana and Namibia who are interested in politics and are keen to return home at the end of the programme to make an active contribution to democracy and a vibrant civil society in their home countries.
The German Bundestag is offering you the opportunity to get to know the German parliamentary system during an intensive programme. A one-week work placement with a Member of the German Bundestag allows you to experience the work carried out in their office and to come into contact with political decision-makers.
Successful candidates will be chosen by the German Bundestag’s independent selection panel.
This fully-funded programme is intensive four-week experience in which eight selected participants will have the opportunity to gain first-hand experience of the German parliamentary system and political decision-making processes. The climax of the whole programme will be a one-week work placement in the office of a Member of the German Bundestag. For selected participants, the programme will start on January 1 and end on January 31, 2023 in Berlin, Germany
The IPS programme is coordinated at parliamentary level by the rapporteur group of the Commission on Internal Affairs set up by the German Bundestag’s Council of Elders.
- Citizenship of one of the three participating countries: Botswana, Namibia and South Africa
- Under the age of 30 at the start of the scholarship
- University degree
- Very good knowledge of German
- An interest in politics, and social/political commitment
Accepted applicants will be eligible for the following benefits
- Selected participants for the programme will receive a monthly scholarship grant worth 500 euros.
- The German Bundestag will also cover the costs related to health, accident and personal liability insurance.
- All participants will receive accommodation in an apartment complex for the full duration of the programme
- The programme will also cover the costs related to travel to and from Berlin.
Interested eligible applicants must send their fully completed online application documents by email as a PDF-file. The PDF file name should consist of the applicant’s surname followed by their given name. Applications must be mailed to the German mission in the applicant’s home country.
The complete application must include the following documents
- Complete the Application form available on the programme website
- You must include evidence of sufficient knowledge of German
- Also include a Copy of your passport or ID card
- You must also include a Certified copy of university degree certificate
- Request a Letter of recommendation in either German or English from a university professor or current employer
For More Information: